Do cows sleep?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sunny Citizen

Reaction score
I am new to cattle. I have one eleven-month old Jersey heifer in a small pasture. It is so enjoyable to watch her from the house...grazing, chewing cud and resting. I've had her since she was only a few days old. But, I don't think I've ever seen her sleep.

denvermartinfarms":1vu7jkby said:
Yes they do. It's allways fun to sneak up and put a hoof in a warm bucket of water.

Darn! I've been doing it wrong! I've been using COLD water1

It's not a lot of money in cattle so you have to keep a positive attitude so we do like a bull and spread a lot of bull____.

Sunny Citizen":3nesorom said:
I am new to cattle. I have one eleven-month old Jersey heifer in a small pasture. It is so enjoyable to watch her from the house...grazing, chewing cud and resting. I've had her since she was only a few days old. But, I don't think I've ever seen her sleep.
They sure do.

Seriously, Yes cows do sleep.Normally they lay on their tummys and fold their head back towards their tail and snooze. On ocasion they will lay out flat like a horse when sleeping,but it seems they fold their head back towards their tail more often...
Nite Hawk

denvermartinfarms":38z2kfmh said:
Yes they do. It's allways fun to sneak up and put a hoof in a warm bucket of water.
So I warm the bucket first, then add water?

I've noticed that cattle mostly sleep in the early hours of the morning, up until just before dawn. Our main cattleyards are not that far from the house and we get some serious "moo music" when we're weaning calves. Usually though, they're quiet during those hours. Also, I've seen a steer curled up, so fast asleep, he didnt realise we'd gone by on bikes and taken all his mates.
He woke up with a big surprise, and looked around...huh???? On a balmy summer day, often after there's been good rain, they'll snooze very deeply to the extent you have to beep the horn on the bike to alert them to your presence. If cattle have been mustered, transported, jammed up in yards, sold through a sale, bustled about and then trucked again, you'll find they'll collapse in a heap first chance they get and have a good sleep, especially cows.

jUST TWO DAYS AGO....I went over to check to see which cow was in heat....
most were just lying around.....heard this noise....
behind a cow was a month old calf all stretched out and making terrible noises....
I knelt beside it and put my hand on its chest....real deep rapid respirations...grunting noises. eyes rolled back in head.
put my hand on the nose....no reaction....neighbors calf....thinking seriously that this calf is dying and I don't know why....
trying to diagnose and thinking about calling neighbor......
suddenly the calf wakes up....is terrified of me with my hands on it and jumps up and flees bawling for mama.....
that calf was sound asleep.

IMG_0991.jpg

Latest posts