Dumb and dead

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":1nwgk6z5 said:
Meanwhile we've still got a cow stuck at the bottom a ravine in a mud hole and I have no idea what we're going to do about her.

I'm waiting on a call now for an update.
Have Alan pet it on the head, And read it a bedtime story.

I hope you can get it out

I wish I was there to help out Hook. There are more experienced cattlemen on the job and they'll do their best and yes Brute, they will put her down if necessary.

Only moral to the story is that we have one in trouble that was discovered soon after she slid down the hill into the jamb she's in and yet there may be little we can do to save her and these cows are checked multiple times per day.

TennesseeTuxedo":mshrj8tj said:
Meanwhile we've still got a cow stuck at the bottom a ravine in a mud hole and I have no idea what we're going to do about her.

That's one of the few times that a good horse is worth having to feed it.

hooknline":35w99lzi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":35w99lzi said:

Have Alan pet it on the head, And read it a bedtime story.

I hope you can get it out

Pretty intelligent, mature statement hook. :roll:

Tenn, if you can't get to her to get a strap or rope on and help her get out with a tractor a bullet may be the only option. As you already know she gets weaker by the hour.

dun":3hp62qx9 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3hp62qx9 said:

There is one horse up there. He belongs to one of the tenants. Are you proposing we use him to try and drag her out? Interesting idea.

If you EXPECT the insurance to cover the shortfalls on management that changes my opinion of the whole thread. The learning process is a lot different! I am like Jo I can not ever see turning in a claim like this on insurance but I guess all people look at it different. It makes you wonder about all that was said about crop insurance for row crop farmers in another thread :cowboy:

Pooled risk is a different animal from getting a check for not even trying.
Is there anything that I do that someone isnt going to nitpick?

TennesseeTuxedo":7cl0be8o said:
dun":7cl0be8o said:
TennesseeTuxedo":7cl0be8o said:

There is one horse up there. He belongs to one of the tenants. Are you proposing we use him to try and drag her out? Interesting idea.
That's the only thing they are good for. If you can get a halter on her it would work better but if not, a rope on the neck and one around her butt will work wonders. If she's mired in mud someone will have to dig around her to break the tension of the mud so she can be popped out.

I have no idea how steep the hillsides on each side leading down to the wash she's stuck in but your suggestion might be the only thing they can do at this point. I just called and got the answering machine so my mother in law is most likely out on the farm dealing with the situation. We got her a cell phone a few years ago but she never takes it with her. :bang:

Tenn, there's one I can feel your pain on. My wife has had a cell phone for years, I remember she turned it on once a few years back. :roll:

hooknline":287bswzd said:
Is there anything that I do tht some ass isnt going to nitpick?

Not nitpicking Hook. Just saying what I'd do in the same situation. Stuff happens but you stand to lose more by making this claim than you will gain. As I see it, this was preventable plain and simple and the responsiblility falls on you. If the adjuster sees it this way then you will be out a vet bill and your time and fuel spent chasing butterflies when you need to be concerning yourself with the bigger picture. By making a claim your name will be put on a risk list and if you ever get bumped onto their "black list" then you are screwed and you might not be able to afford any insurance with any company. So as I see it, you have much more to lose than you have to gain in this situation so I'd just suck up the loss and move forward.

Tenn, if you are up in the hill country they should have some climbing stores around. REI or the like. They have 3" webbing that is wonderful stuff. If the cow is stuck you could use this webbing to fashion a harness and then use some rope and chain to pull the cow out. Webbing is better than rope in that it doesn't harm the animal so baddly.

Jogeephus":3r0ykii1 said:
hooknline":3r0ykii1 said:
Is there anything that I do tht some ass isnt going to nitpick?

Not nitpicking Hook. Just saying what I'd do in the same situation. Stuff happens but you stand to lose more by making this claim than you will gain. As I see it, this was preventable plain and simple and the responsiblility falls on you. If the adjuster sees it this way then you will be out a vet bill and your time and fuel spent chasing butterflies when you need to be concerning yourself with the bigger picture. By making a claim your name will be put on a risk list and if you ever get bumped onto their "black list" then you are screwed and you might not be able to afford any insurance with any company. So as I see it, you have much more to lose than you have to gain in this situation so I'd just suck up the loss and move forward.
I hear you Jo. Thts not nitpicking. And you aren't insinuating I'm a hypocrite and less honest

so some are saying that even if u check cows every day that once u leave the cows wont get hurt,sick,or stuck till right when u get there the next time. well heck that makes it alot easyer i always worried about them doing something odd when i wasnt around like a kid does but i guess there better and i will never worrie again that they wont get stuck in the mud right after i leave and suffer till morning when i get back. ...............hook we had one get threw a fence and get on and old pond we had pushed in the next spring befor it settled we got her out and she made it but woudlnt of much long and no idea how long she was there befor i found her and they were checked the day befor

Just got a call I didn't expect to get today. Somehow whatever the vet gave her yesterday gave her enough get up and go that last night she got up and went. He's off today but as soon as I can find out what he loaded her up with I'll come back and post. My mother in law said that he even told her he thought she was a goner yesterday before he treated her.

I am so relieved.

Jogeephus":1sj4tptc said:
Tenn, if you are up in the hill country they should have some climbing stores around. REI or the like. They have 3" webbing that is wonderful stuff. If the cow is stuck you could use this webbing to fashion a harness and then use some rope and chain to pull the cow out. Webbing is better than rope in that it doesn't harm the animal so baddly.

I think I'll stock up on some webbing Jo, good suggestion.

TennesseeTuxedo":osat7o4f said:

This isn't no ravine had one flipped upside down in a chute once had to drug her to get a set of chain's on her to lift her out.

Edit I am ate up with dumb ass disease today didn't read where yall got her out.
Guess that arguement I got in this morning has had a negative effect on the last two working brain cell's.

TennesseeTuxedo":3184z723 said:
Just got a call I didn't expect to get today. Somehow whatever the vet gave her yesterday gave her enough get up and go that last night she got up and went. He's off today but as soon as I can find out what he loaded her up with I'll come back and post. My mother in law said that he even told her he thought she was a goner yesterday before he treated her.

I am so relieved.

That's good news, sounds like you and your MIL handled it well. I'm curious what the vet gave her.

They said they couldn't get anywhere near the wash with the tractor Caustic or that's probably what they would have done too. I'll be up there next weekend and I'll be interested to see exactly where she was when she slid down in there. Vet wondered if the bull might have been trying to mount her and knocked her down the bank or something like that because he preg checked her and she was open. Don't guess we'll ever know what happened but I'm tickled pink she figured a way out.

Latest posts