Educate me on cubes and cake

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm a cube man myself, never heard of cake until I got on here. I don't feed cubes there's cheaper alternatives. I do keep a bag or two all the time and will feed them some every week or so just to keep them interested in me. I can take a bag of cubes and tow them any where I want. leading them is much easier than driving them. The ones I buy or 24% and cost $12 a bag.

skyhightree1":2u8bu2cs said:
Bigfoot":2u8bu2cs said:
The bottom falls out of our ground so bad in the winter, you cant unroll hay, or feed on the ground. I can see how that would be handy, just not useful here.

I think I may know a little bit about bottom falling out.

We have pastures that look like that too Sky. What a mess.

Never heard of cubes till I got on here. It's cake around here. We feed 20% cake with pasture of hay all winter and when there is no hay 30% cake and straw will carry them over extremely well.

Did that the winter of 63 and had some of the best calves we ever raised.

cross_7":3nlk1x2c said:
Bigfoot":3nlk1x2c said:
The bottom falls out of our ground so bad in the winter, you cant unroll hay, or feed on the ground. I can see how that would be handy, just not useful here.

There's not much hay fed here
Standing grass and cake unless we're in drought and then hay is like gold
What do you do in a big snow?

denvermartinfarms":20um7x6z said:
cross_7":20um7x6z said:
Bigfoot":20um7x6z said:

There's not much hay fed here
Standing grass and cake unless we're in drought and then hay is like gold
What do you do in a big snow?

We don't get big snow

I put this same post on ranchers a few years ago. It's always been cubes here and I had heard about feeding cottonseed cake years ago. When I hear the guys talking about cake I can't imiagin cake coming out of those feeders so I had to ask.
The further west you go it's cake.
Bigfoot and Sky y'all need to get a few bags, its like crack for cows. Wait till you see how they act the second or third time you feed them some.

jedstivers":1w840nb7 said:
I put this same post on ranchers a few years ago. It's always been cubes here and I had heard about feeding cottonseed cake years ago. When I hear the guys talking about cake I can't imiagin cake coming out of those feeders so I had to ask.
Bigfoot and Sky y'all need to get a few bags, its like crack for cows. Wait till you see how they act the second or third time you feed them some.

The product is not available locally. When I asked about it, they offered hay cubes. I bought a horse out of Oklahoma once, and the people swore that "cake" and grass was all that it had ever eaten. I didn't know if you could even feed it to a horse. To this day, the horse eats pellets funny. He doesn't drop any, he just looks odd eating.

jedstivers":gn9kyg7h said:

What brand or kind do you suggest?

Thus far I've only used cubes as a suppliment and now that I've received my hay test back, I need to suppliment way more than I originally expected.

Sky,

I would just go to the local feed store and see what they carry. They may only carry the 20% all-natural like my local store. If available, I suggest Lone Star brand.

skyhightree1":3gqwvahe said:
jedstivers":3gqwvahe said:

What brand or kind do you suggest?
You prol won't have a choice.

Bigfoot":2ob70dtd said:
jedstivers":2ob70dtd said:

The product is not available locally. When I asked about it, they offered hay cubes. I bought a horse out of Oklahoma once, and the people swore that "cake" and grass was all that it had ever eaten. I didn't know if you could even feed it to a horse. To this day, the horse eats pellets funny. He doesn't drop any, he just looks odd eating.
They make one for horses, the cattle ones have to much of something in them. They can eat a few out of your hand but not a lot. TS should have them. They are amazing, a few days ago I made a post about leading the whole herd a mile by holding one out the window and the lead cow following with her tongue out trying to get it.

My cows were spread all over a section of timbered mtns this fall. I caked them 3 times a week the last two weeks they were in there.
When I was ready to move them I made a temp corral in the middle of a meadow with two stock trailers for wings and went up the mtn with a bag of cake and called them.
They ran off that mtn like lunatics. Bags afloppin and calves bucking and kicking. My bull even made a fool of himself.
They followed me 1/2 a mile sitting on the tailgate shaking the bag and dropping one every 100 yards. Right into the corral.

I saw a bunch of them in a circle the other day and overheard one say Hi my name is VEL 46Z,I am a cake hore its been 3 days since i crawled the fence looking for the bag of cake Vic keeps in his truck. The others said Hi VEL 46Z, welcome to cake hores anonymous

oh ok I will check my local ss and then ts and see what they have this weekend. Jed I hope I can find some and see how cattle react to it.

skyhightree1":2qhgoqi2 said:
oh ok I will check my local ss and then ts and see what they have this weekend. Jed I hope I can find some and see how cattle react to it.

Two things. It has a great smell. Like Anise. Cake is not all created equal. Some of it is so hard that the cows have trouble eating it.

3waycross":32yrcjwt said:
skyhightree1":32yrcjwt said:

Two things. It has a great smell. Like Anise. Cake is not all created equal. Some of it is so hard that the cows have trouble eating it.

Thanks for letting me know that. I would hate to get some and cattle couldn't eat it.

I thought cake was made from cotton seed meal could be cubes or broke up pieces of cotton seed cake and I think about 35% crude protein.

hurleyjd":togm8at1 said:
I thought cake was made from cotton seed meal could be cubes or broke up pieces of cotton seed cake and I think about 35% crude protein.

I am pretty sure we all already agree on what it is made from. The protein levels vary though.

Bigfoot I am in N. Alabama and receive around the same annual rainfall that your area does and we do have mud but 3 yrs ago i started using 3/4 4x4 to feed hay ( currently have cannonball and deweze beds) unrolling here works, main thing i see with it is all cows get space to eat at the same time and spreading manure out, no hay rings with mud knee deep around them. And this is spread out on 5 farms in an 8 mi radius. I will say this it cut our feeding time in half based on using a tractor with fel.

Latest posts