Farm insurance?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
How many of stay loyal to one insurance company?
Currently with Farm Bureau but my old agent is trying to get my business back.
Really don't like swapping around alot but saving $40 a month and lowering my deductible make it appealing.
A couple things have a little more coverage on the new quote and the only think I see less is the liability on vehicles, they quote $250,000 instead of $300,000.

tom4018 said:
Really don't like swapping around alot but saving $40 a month and lowering my deductible make it appealing.
A couple things have a little more coverage on the new quote and the only think I see less is the liability on vehicles, they quote $250,000 instead of $300,000.

I have had a farm and ranch policy with Farm Bureau since they invented dirt.

Caustic Burno said:
tom4018 said:

Never thought about leaving? $500 a year savings and $1,500 lower deductible along with a little more coverage make it tempting.

tom4018 said:
Caustic Burno said:
tom4018 said:

Never thought about leaving? $500 a year savings and $1,500 lower deductible along with a little more coverage make it tempting.

Who would you be switching to Tom? Farm Bureau is pretty reliable.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
tom4018 said:
Caustic Burno said:

Liberty Mutual is who the agent quoted me with. Was with them before Farm Bureau, had a hail claim in 2012 with them and pretty easy to work with and a auto claim the year before. Had a hail claim with FB this year, response was slow but the virus probably affected it some, they did things a lot differently.

tom4018 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
tom4018 said:

Liberty Mutual is who the agent quoted me with. Was with them before Farm Bureau, had a hail claim in 2012 with them and pretty easy to work with and a auto claim the year before. Had a hail claim with FB this year, response was slow but the virus probably affected it some, they did things a lot differently.

My personal experience with Liberty Mutual is they lure you in with a good deal and quietly raise the rate on you upon renewal. I see it all the time with my customers who have their insurance escrowed on mortgage loans.

I sit down with my Farm Bureau agent this spring and reviewed my policy and saved about 30% by changing a few things. Also looked at my Kubota tractor insurance and I was paying for coverage on the new value of a tractor that was now worth half of the new value.

My grandparents always had Farm Bureau, my parents have always had Farm Bureau and I've always had Farm Bureau. I feel like if you stay loyal to them they'll be loyal to you. I got mad at my old agent and shopped around once, other companies could beat them on part of my insurance but as a whole Farm Bureau was the cheapest.

kenny thomas said:
I sit down with my Farm Bureau agent this spring and reviewed my policy and saved about 30% by changing a few things. Also looked at my Kubota tractor insurance and I was paying for coverage on the new value of a tractor that was now worth half of the new value.

We recently used the glass coverage you recommended I carry. It was just a door but plenty expensive.

I've heard of someone leaving the door open on the tractor and the cows come up, pushed on it and broke it.

Probably worth a sit down review with your current provider. Seems from my experience any carrier who is not well known for farm coverage will find an excuse to say no or screw you over. Ultimately it's not your insurance agent selling the policy who will be there to assess damages... That being said I left some business with a guy that got me out of a bind back in college - it's a big plus when you get along with your agent.

If you do decide to switch you may consider a 30-45 day overlap to ensure new carrier has inspected and approved your property.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
ccr said:
How did the door get broke?

I wasn't there, I'm an absentee farmer for the most part, but they tell me a big gust of wind caught it and blew it backwards when "someone" left the door open in the pasture.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it boss! Just disregard those empties in the cab! ;-)

Just to point one thing out. Just because you have something covered for "X" amount does not mean that that is what they will pay you. I would never carry Progressive, they are like the mafia (there is a reason they can afford all that advertising). Farm Breau is almost always local which is normallly a huge plus in my book.

sstterry said:
Just to point one thing out. Just because you have something covered for "X" amount does not mean that that is what they will pay you. I would never carry Progressive, they are like the mafia (there is a reason they can afford all that advertising). Farm Breau is almost always local which is normallly a huge plus in my book.
Wish I could make a fair comparison in the claims I have had in the past as I am sure the virus affected FB some. Their adjuster seemed like he was new but when I asked him how long he had been doing it he said 15 years or so. He just inspected the damage and let contractors give estimates. Claim before that the adjuster did all the figures.

I have a farm policy with Nationwide. It includes structures, equipment, cattle, hay, liability, my personal residence, atvs/utvs, and my vehicles. Everything is insured even if it's on rented ground. Great rates and I've only had one claim due to hurricane damage to one of my barns. They sent an adjuster who done a work up and he wrote me a check on the spot for the insured amount on the policy (which I set). His value was $6k more than mine but since I set the limit that is what they paid. They were a pleasure to deal with.

I had Nationwide for years and was satisfied. Unfortunately had to change companies when I moved to another state in 2016.
I heartily recommend reviewing your coverage annually in a timely fashion. An issue that is often overlooked/ignored is staying abreast of your household inventory/personal possessions.

Latest posts