Feds are paying $1000 to adopt a wild horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh man, they are too late for us. We bought our Mustang privately (she was gentled by someone else). This mare is as good as gold. Smart as a whip and so personable. No navicular or stupid issues created by breeding. I think when our son is ready for a horse, we're going to one of those Mustang Makeover events.

Little Cow said:
Oh man, they are too late for us. We bought our Mustang privately (she was gentled by someone else). This mare is as good as gold. Smart as a whip and so personable. No navicular or stupid issues created by breeding. I think when our son is ready for a horse, we're going to one of those Mustang Makeover events.

When I lived in Wyoming (1981 to 1987), it was common to see herds of wild horses out on the prairie. I enjoyed the sight of a herd of wild horses. I often watched them for long periods through binoculars.

sim.-ang.king said:
There's probably someone that would be willing to pay a $1000 to shoot one.

Sadly, I'm sure there are. In fact, my poor mare has a healed over bullet wound in her neck and a bullet fragment. She didn't deserve that.

I am amazed that we let our public lands be polluted by the fracking, mining, and oil people. Plus, what they have done on reservations. They have polluted many water sources in an area where water is scarce.

Little Cow said:
sim.-ang.king said:
There's probably someone that would be willing to pay a $1000 to shoot one.

Sadly, I'm sure there are. In fact, my poor mare has a healed over bullet wound in her neck and a bullet fragment. She didn't deserve that.

I am amazed that we let our public lands be polluted by the fracking, mining, and oil people. Plus, what they have done on reservations. They have polluted many water sources in an area where water is scarce.

It has been a long time, but when I lived in Casper, Wyoming, it was not unusual to hear of wild horses being shot. It was also not unusual to observe horses in the herds suffering from being shot.

If you can't feed them don't breed them. Wild horses have overpopulated the habit and are nothing but another varmint and nuisance. The wild horse problem was caused by the bleeding heart liberals, once they got involved with the wild horses everything went to the pits instead of the dogs.

True Grit Farms said:
If you can't feed them don't breed them. Wild horses have overpopulated the habit and are nothing but another varmint and nuisance. The wild horse problem was caused by the bleeding heart liberals, once they got involved with the wild horses everything went to the pits instead of the dogs.

No one controls the breeding!!! You are missing something! These herds of wild horses have origins that go all the way back to horses that got loose from Spanish conquistadors. If it were possible to control breeding the problem would have been solved 60 years ago.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

No one controls the breeding!!! You are missing something! These herds of wild horses have origins that go all the way back to horses that got loose from Spanish conquistadors. If it were possible to control breeding the problem would have been solved 60 years ago.

If true that wild horses originated from the Spanish conquistadores why aren't wild horses treated like feral pigs? The Spanish left pigs here to destroy the country, and sounds like horses also. Shouldn't wild horses be called an invasive species? I'm not missing anything, you can't breed what isn't there. Population control equals controlled breeding.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

If true that wild horses originated from the Spanish conquistadores why aren't wild horses treated like feral pigs? The Spanish left pigs here to destroy the country, and sounds like horses also. Shouldn't wild horses be called an invasive species? I'm not missing anything, you can't breed what isn't there. Population control equals controlled breeding.

We could fill a library with this discussion. The first horses came to Amerca in the 1400s. The Spanish conquistadors explored North America on horses. Some of those horses obviously got loose and began feral herds. The blood lines have been traced to Spanish horses. Some of the purest herds are in Montana and Wyoming. It is a thrill to watch them. Some are pretty sorry looking but some are spectacular.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:

We could fill a library with this discussion. The first horses came to Amerca in the 1400s. The Spanish conquistadors explored North America on horses. Some of those horses obviously got loose and began feral herds. The blood lines have been traced to Spanish horses. Some of the purest herds are in Montana and Wyoming. It is a thrill to watch them. Some are pretty sorry looking but some are spectacular.

I agree 100% seen plenty myself in the early 70's. Let's just not make more of them.

Went to a couple wild horse and burro adoption events. Mainly just as an onlooker, but was kind of contemplating a burro as a guard animal against coyotes.

It pizzes me off to no end that my tax dollars are being spent on this crap. They're an invasive species just like hogs, and should be treated as such. A couple chopper shooters could take care of a bunch in a hurry.

There are only 50,000 horses and burros compared to 1,500,000 cattle. Most of the horses are in Nevada, on the worst public rangeland. The BLM rounds them up when they exceed 50K. (Source: BLM).

12,800,000 acres are leased for oil, fracking, and mining interests, which cause the most destruction to the environment by polluting ground water and tearing up the range grass.

Please keep in mind that this is public land, which belongs to us all. We should have a say in what happens to it. Back in the 70s, after WIld Horse Annie, we wanted horses to be there without being brutally gathered for dog food. Since then, the politicians have been pushing the horses and burros off the land for mining and oil interests and then blaming the cattle. The politicians rile up cattlemen against horse lovers so they can pull a slight of hand right under our noses. Why aren't we getting any money back from those penny leases given to oil, mining, and fracking interests? Who is getting the kickbacks? Well, take a guess. It sure isn't us.

The horses are a drop in the bucket. The horses are not the problem. The politicians are.

Little Cow said:
There are only 50,000 horses and burros compared to 1,500,000 cattle. Most of the horses are in Nevada, on the worst public rangeland. The BLM rounds them up when they exceed 50K. (Source: BLM).

12,800,000 acres are leased for oil, fracking, and mining interests, which cause the most destruction to the environment by polluting ground water and tearing up the range grass.

Please keep in mind that this is public land, which belongs to us all. Why aren't we getting any money back from those penny leases given to oil, mining and fracking interests? Who is getting the kickbacks? Well, take a guess. It sure isn't us.

The horses are a drop in the bucket.

The government is getting the money off the oil. The US government makes way more profit a gallon than the oil companies with royalties and taxes.
Do you have any idea how many times a gallon is taxed? It's taxed in the pipeline, tank farm, the refinery, the service station and finally at the pump.
Foreign oil is not left out as it pays an excise tax at the port of entry.
Diesel is double at the pump. The hidden income tax as everything from a roll of toilet paper to a setting of eggs is transmitted by it.
Corporations don't pay taxes they collect them from the consumer.
Raise a corporate tax they raise prices on the product, it's just a domestic tariff.
Here are the refined products prices for the day to the pump, this does not include local, state or federal taxes at the pump as the vary from state to state.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/prices.php

Not everyone will agree with all the ways public land is used, but there is enough of it to balance out many interests. Politicians are making a bundle by handing out leases to private corporations. We should see some of that money come back to pay for public interests.

I had an old AQHA mare when I was a kid. She was smart as a whip and had sense that I did not see in the next AQHA horse I owned. He was a wonderful pet and loved to be pampered, but he lacked that something extra. He also was built downhill and ended up with navicular at age 16. My old AQHA horse mare traced back to stock improved by TBs crossed with cowponies (which were range horses that included feral/Mustang/Spanish blood). She was still sound at 32.

This little Mustang I ride now has that something extra. She is tough and bold, like our Morgan, but smart and sensible. Selective breeding was done by nature, rather than for color or show. I never knew what Mustangs were like to ride. Now I get it. Not for everyone, though. They can be demanding and quite loyal to their people. They get in trouble if you ignore them. They like to get out and do things. I try to show her something new every time I ride and that keeps her happy.

I used to think I knew what Mustangs were, you know, scrubby, worthless, little ponies. Well, this little Mustang proved me wrong. I've met plenty of other people who also changed their minds after riding them.

Little Cow said:
Not everyone will agree with all the ways public land is used, but there is enough of it to balance out many interests. Politicians are making a bundle by handing out leases to private corporations. We should see some of that money come back to pay for public interests.

I had an old AQHA mare when I was a kid. She was smart as a whip and had sense that I did not see in the next AQHA horse I owned. He was a wonderful pet and loved to be pampered, but he lacked that something extra. He also was built downhill and ended up with navicular at age 16. My old AQHA horse mare traced back to stock improved by TBs crossed with cowponies (which were range horses that included feral/Mustang/Spanish blood). She was still sound at 32.

This little Mustang I ride now has that something extra. She is tough and bold, like our Morgan, but smart and sensible. Selective breeding was done by nature, rather than for color or show. I never knew what Mustangs were like to ride. Now I get it. Not for everyone, though. They can be demanding and quite loyal to their people. They get in trouble if you ignore them. They like to get out and do things. I try to show her something new every time I ride and that keeps her happy.

I used to think I knew what Mustangs were, you know, scrubby, worthless, little ponies. Well, this little Mustang proved me wrong. I've met plenty of other people who also changed their minds after riding them.

I found that very interesting. Thanks.

Latest posts