Feeder for loose feed, auger feeder?

Help Support CattleToday:

Otha

Reaction score
I've been buying bulk feed and picking it up in a grain cart and then filling 5 gallon buckets. Up to 10 buckets a day right now and will likely end up feeding as many as 20 a day this winter between the finishing group and the weaned calves.
Does anyone have experience with the various different brands of auger feeders?
I would rather something I could put on a trailer than a flat bed but I guess I would consider either option.
I think it needs to hold at least 1,200 lbs but the bigger the better within reason.

I bought a Luco Manufacturing cake feeder a couple years ago. I would like to to put some scales under it, but that is going to have to wait. So for now I fill a 5 gallon buck and pour it in the bunk; it gives me better control of how much I'm feeding. So far it seems like a quality product.

I kind of wish I had bought a T&S Trip hopper. From what I understand is you can set how much grain you want to dispense for each trip. So you can count the number of trips and Know pretty close to how much you are feeding.

My wife and I have been mulling over trying something similar other than buckets for feeding grain to our replacement heifers, or even potentially having the ability to feed pellets to cows if we had to.
Currently looking at this, and debating on the handiest configuration for our needs / wants:

IMG_5135.jpeg
My son built the "Pellet Puker" for us several years ago. It has served us well. Holds roughly 2600 lbs and delivers the product we feed at 5 lbs per second.

I've tried T&S, Bull One, Hydrafeeder, Deweze and a few others. I'd go with Hydrafeeder, Deweze, or 3c Feeders. They are a little pricey but worth it. With the Deweze and Hyrafeeder U won't need scales. All others we tried really needed scsles to be accurate. Try to find a good used one. It's one of those deals you'll wonder how you lived with out it. Be leary of the SXS models like the T&S trip hopper jr. Mine isn't strong emogh to feed commodity mix..only cubes.

We have a My-d Han-d auger feeder and a T&S trip hopper.

The trip hopper is adjustable, you can weigh each trip to set how much feed you dispense, and it has a counter that counts every time the chute trips.

The auger feeder has no such feature, either on or off. I could see where scales would come in handy on that one.

I have never rigged one on a trailer, but have rigged the trip hopper on the loader of a tractor to feed calves during wet falls. Just takes a couple big wires to run it, the motor draws quite a bit.

If you're going to be feeding into bunks, I could see where height would be an issue on a trailer.

We have a My-d Han-d auger feeder and a T&S trip hopper.

The trip hopper is adjustable, you can weigh each trip to set how much feed you dispense, and it has a counter that counts every time the chute trips.

The auger feeder has no such feature, either on or off. I could see where scales would come in handy on that one.

I have never rigged one on a trailer, but have rigged the trip hopper on the loader of a tractor to feed calves during wet falls. Just takes a couple big wires to run it, the motor draws quite a bit.

If you're going to be feeding into bunks, I could see where height would be an issue on a trailer.
We time the Pellet Puker for 30 seconds into lick tubs and then weigh. Gives a fair idea of how much product per second we are feeding. Every product differs.

Latest posts