fert. price

Help Support CattleToday:

poorboy

Reaction score
Here in ky I expect a rise in price for triple 19 but I'm hearing everything from 550 to 650 per ton. Any idea of the going rate yet in your area?

got some mineral on monday and I was looking at the board in the feed store 18-46-0 $700 46-0-0 $560 and going higher :cry2: I think I'm going to get soil tests on every thing try to come up with a plan I won't be able to do what they tell me but maybe I won't get any thing I don't need

prices are southern oklahoma

Priced it two weeks ago for hay fields. If I apply maximum amount of everything, it is going to cost $120 per acre. :shock: This is ridiculus but I think its starting to get me to believe my dirt is so poor that it is only good for raising houses.

Here in central Pa triple 19 will be 550.00 a ton bagged a little cheaper if i get bulk.

What is a farmer going to do?
If you don't buy the stuff, your yields will decline. Low yielding pastures and hay fields are just as expensive to mow as high yielding fields. The taxes are the same. The land value doesn't change. You carry fewer cows on low yields of forage. You cut income faster than you cut expenses when you skip the fertilizer.
The hard part of agriculture is that producers have to quit the business before prices rise enough to compensate us for the increased expense. Right now we are facing a rising stakes poker game. If you risked 100 dollars to make 5 dollars last year, this year we will risk 250 dollars to make the same 5 dollars. (examples not based on real numbers, just an illustration).
CRUNCH!

john250":315rf3hp said:
The hard part of agriculture is that producers have to quit the business before prices rise enough to compensate us for the increased expense.

John, with all due respect, I disagree with this statement. I don't think you would see it rise until it is too late. People who produce food, fuel and fiber are viewed as replacable by the majority and as long as they can get their imports brought in from the sweat of children I don't think they care. The majority views us as quaint, ignorant country folks who just don't understand the business world. Independence and self-reliance means nothing to them. (sorry, having an off day)

Jogeephus":3o4bze3p said:
john250":3o4bze3p said:
The hard part of agriculture is that producers have to quit the business before prices rise enough to compensate us for the increased expense.

John, with all due respect, I disagree with this statement. I don't think you would see it rise until it is too late. People who produce food, fuel and fiber are viewed as replacable by the majority and as long as they can get their imports brought in from the sweat of children I don't think they care. The majority views us as quaint, ignorant country folks who just don't understand the business world. Independence and self-reliance means nothing to them. (sorry, having an off day)

I neglected imports in my thinking, no doubt. Excepting maybe Europe, almost anyone can produce beef cheaper than the USA. Our land costs are high, and environmental rules are tight and getting tighter. Sigh.

Last I heard here :
Urea 590
DAP 670
Potash 500

Makes 19-19-19 about $680 a ton.

tom4018":v11cjugn said:
Last I heard here :
Urea 590
DAP 670
Potash 500

Makes 19-19-19 about $680 a ton.

Do you mean 580 DAP has the most cost in 19-19-19 or do they charge a high blending fee

The dealer I normally get it at quoted me DAP at the $670 a ton. Said they had a hard time getting it.

I talked to the manager at the coop the other day asking about fertilizer prices and at the time they were:
urea $482
dap $530
potash $420

To fertilize this year it is best to go to the bank first. Be sure to take a pistol and a mask. Oh, don't write your note on the back of a deposit slip and leave it there.

May be if we cut the fertiliuzer out and produce less beef, then the price of beef should go up. Supply and demand usually control the price. I suspect that the freight cost on the fertilizer is what may be driving the price.

hurleyjd":27i987c5 said:
May be if we cut the fertiliuzer out and produce less beef, then the price of beef should go up. Supply and demand usually control the price. I suspect that the freight cost on the fertilizer is what may be driving the price.

Freight is a big part, but there is a strong element of "what the market will bear".

hurleyjd":1nq6jns7 said:

Then the multinationals will just import more and cheaper beef.

An article from the Wall Street Journal said "chemical & fertilizer companies are aggressively pricing in an effort to capture the farmers new found wealth". Am I missing out on something here?

Pete

Hoosier Pete":3vo9pvux said:
An article from the Wall Street Journal said "chemical & fertilizer companies are aggressively pricing in an effort to capture the farmers new found wealth". Am I missing out on something here?

Pete

The only ones I can think of that the WSJ would think have wealth would be corn farmers.

I am thinking us farmers is getting the shaft. Most of the independent truckers that i know say they are getting the same freight rates as three years ago. only surving on fuel sur charges and they are pretty thin. Would not want a payment on a new peterbilt.

Latest posts