Finally get to work our animals...

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
After 2 1/2 years on this place, we now have a corral put together. Turned out neater than I ever planned thanks to my buddy who runs cattle next door.

So, I know we need to give calves something for black leg and BRD. A dewormer. And....

Different people are recommending different things. I am curious what you all do.

What about cows? I am going to assume cows and bull get treated the same?

Thanks

ClinchValley":3b97n7k6 said:
After 2 1/2 years on this place, we now have a corral put together. Turned out neater than I ever planned thanks to my buddy who runs cattle next door.

So, I know we need to give calves something for black leg and BRD. A dewormer. And....

Different people are recommending different things. I am curious what you all do.

What about cows? I am going to assume cows and bull get treated the same?

Thanks

Calves get First Defense and Inforce 3 at birth. They get an Inforce 3 boost at 2 months. At weaning, they are treated as the cows. They get a Clostridial at 200 to 300 lbs. Covexin 8.

Cows:
In addition to the organisms grouped in the Bovine Respiratory Disease (BRD) category, I also vaccinate for the Fetal Protection organisms such as Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis, Parainfluenza3, Bovine Viral Diarrhea, Respiratory Syncytial Virus, and Leptospirosis. Vibriosis is a bacterial venearal disease and since I am 100 % AI, is not a concern here but I recommend anyone who acquires a heifer from me to include it in their vaccination protocol. They get a Clostridial, Covexin 8 annually.

You might consider a Pinkeye vaccine but make sure it is autogenous. Commercial vaccines are much less effective.

I don't have a bull but I would Do bull same as cows.

Trichomonas is a protozoan parasite. Not a significant problem here. In addition, vaccines for protozoans are not efficacious.

Edited to add: for fetal protection, I use the Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 L5 which includes the Hardjo-bovis strain of Leptospira. If I need to boost for Leptospira, I use Spirovac L5, which also contains the HB serovar.

Calvery 9 and a pour on wormer, then 3 weeks later give a Triangle 10 vaccine and a booster of Calvery 9. A few weeks after that another Triangle 10 booster and an injectable wormer. DO NOT give your cows more vaccines than their immune systems can handle at one time. And do not use a MLV on your cows.

I have seen you on the forum so I know you are not a beginner. I agree with Grit on spacing your vaccinations. I always do my Clostridials as a stand alone operation.

In regard to the Modified Live Virus vaccines. Grit is not alone in issuing the warning. Fetal Protection vaccines that include MLV for IBR and BVD have been shown to cause abortions in cows/heifers not previously exposed to an MLV vaccine for IBR and BVD. Regardless, you can do this if you simply follow the instructions with the vaccine. Having said that, using a killed virus preparation like Triangle 10 HB, is absolutely fine.

I might note that the FP vaccine I stated that I use, IS a MLV preparation.

I get them up when the biggest ones are in the 3 to 4 hundred lb. range and then I give them all a tetanus/blackleg shot and eartag them all even down to the smaller ones. Then sometime later I get the bulls back up and band them and give the second tetanus/blackleg booster shot.
I think the blackleg vaccine is the most critical.

I still feel like I am a beginner. :mrgreen:

I have helped a few different neighbors work their animals. So I am confident in doing it. Just trying to get a grip on what and when.

Kenny - That would be neat. You need to come check my little corral out anyways.

Thanks y'all. I am going to reread y'alls posts about 10 times so it will sink in.

How young can a valve be safely vaccinated?

ClinchValley":1nt17j9y said:
I still feel like I am a beginner. :mrgreen:

I have helped a few different neighbors work their animals. So I am confident in doing it. Just trying to get a grip on what and when.

Kenny - That would be neat. You need to come check my little corral out anyways.

Thanks y'all. I am going to reread y'alls posts about 10 times so it will sink in.

How young can a valve be safely vaccinated?

The First Defense and Inforce 3 are not injectable. First Defense is a capsule you administer orally with a bolus gun. Inforce 3 is an intranasal liquid in a MLV preparation that is rehydrated before use. Both are administered as soon as the calf is born. Need to get it done in 12 hours.

Calves have a short window about 24 hours during which antibodies are incorporated into the calve's immune defenses. Miss that window and you have to wait until the calf can mount its own immune response by producing antibodies which is a time period of about two to four weeks. Depends on the research you read.

Edited to add: this might be helpful to anyone who wants to learn about a calf's immune system:

https://www.cowsignals.com/blog/at_whic ... ion_in_its

bird dog":3d2jjsbo said:
Implant the calves. If you decide on this, don't plan on using Ralgro. Its on backorder until mid 2018.

I've just about decided to do this. Seems like a win/win. Any potential consequence? Heifers too?

To everyone - Neighbor cuts his bulls, I've helped him a few times. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to cut ours. I had bad dreams for half of a week… Many of you all have success with bands? If so, what kind?

ClinchValley":2eh9m2lq said:
bird dog":2eh9m2lq said:
Implant the calves. If you decide on this, don't plan on using Ralgro. Its on backorder until mid 2018.

I've just about decided to do this. Seems like a win/win. Any potential consequence? Heifers too?

To everyone - Neighbor cuts his bulls, I've helped him a few times. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to cut ours. I had bad dreams for half of a week… Many of you all have success with bands? If so, what kind?

I prefer the knife. The process is simple and over quickly with little risk as long as done correctly.
While you got em caught . Tags and any you intend to keep. ..as my grandson says.. burn their hides Pop.. :cowboy:

If you're going to band when there small, the green cheerio type do just fine...if you want to wait til they're bigger, XL banding tool is what we use(up to 600#). Feel obligated to add about tetanus precautions when banding. Tetanus toxoid 28 days prior to banding...or be sure to have tetanus antitoxin available if you skip the toxoid prior. Having said all that, only toxoid vaccinated one time in last 20 years and never had a case of tetanus, but understand the risks. Only ever seen one calf with tetanus on a farm I helped out on when I was younger, but sure is sad to see.

Green cheerio type at birth - 2 months of age works great. They don't know anything happened to them.
I am still a firm believer of MLV. You just have to have good management. Has longer protection & is cheaper. If you use a
killed vaccine, be sure to give the booster in a timely manner, or just squirt the vaccine on the ground.
Vaccinate your cows a minimum of 30 days PRIOR to breeding. I use BoviShield 5L5HB. With this program, I can vaccinate my calves with a MLV. They get BS5L5HB at 3 months & 4 months of age, then again a few weeks after weaning. At 3 months, they also get OneShot Ultra7, and they get their Ultra 7 booster at the 4 month workup. I drench deworm at 3 months & pour on deworm at 4 months.
Lepto only lasts about 4-5 months, so if you are in deer country, it is strongly advised to Lepto vaccinate cows 2 X a year, so my cows get a Lepto HB in the fall with their pour-on dewormer.
Some people ask why I re-vaccinate with BS5L5HB 30 days after 1st shot, because you don't need to booster a MLV. It contains BRSV, which needs a booster. So, if I am going to stab them again 30 days later for the BRSV, I would rather use the full vaccine, because with ANY vaccination program, you do not get 100% coverage.

ClinchValley":9lytt8qh said:
bird dog":9lytt8qh said:

I've just about decided to do this. Seems like a win/win. Any potential consequence? Heifers?

I implant all my calves at 2-4 months and again at weaning if I am going to background them for at least 30 days. If I am retaining some heifers they don't get the second implant. I have never had any issues and the heifers seem to breed on time. I generally use Ralgro or Revlor.

The weaned calves go onto pasture with some creep about every other day. They will gain 1 1/2 to 2 lbs a day above what they lose at weaning. The implanted at weaning calves seem to gain over 1/2 lb per day more than the non implanted and also seem hungrier and healthier. Its money well spent.

bird dog":12mkytsh said:
The implanted at weaning calves seem to gain over 1/2 lb per day more than the non implanted and also seem hungrier and healthier. Its money well spent.

You've talked us into it.

Latest posts