First calf heifer dried up early

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Have a first calve with about a 250 lb calf who has stopped milking I am all but certain. Momma is in great condition. No ribs visible and plenty of fat for a girl in her position.

That said, the others are milking fine. Is this one that you would cull? This heifers mother was my favorite cow we had til she died this spring all of a sudden. She milked plenty and stayed fat.

I'm leaning towards putting her on feed and making beef.

With my small herd of about 25 cows, I have saved heifers out of some of my favorites throughout the years. I have cut some of those calves a little slack when they did not live up to my expectations as mommies. I have since figured out that good cows don't always have heifer calves that make good cows. I now cull them the same as any other heifer that does not meet expectations. I would first take TCRanch's advise and see if their is an explanation for her to dry up. If the calf is 250 lbs. I would not expect mastitis because the calf should keep the cow's udder pretty much sucked dry which really helps prevent mastitis problems.

Under the best of circumstances candidates for replacements can prove disappointing. In a perfect world one should keep all heifers save for obvious culls and evaluate them as future keepers based on their initial maternal performance. Obviously this isn't a viable option with small herds.
Have a first calve with about a 250 lb calf who has stopped milking I am all but certain. Momma is in great condition. No ribs visible and plenty of fat for a girl in her position.
Baring an odd circumstance I would be surprised if this 1st CH had mastitis. What makes you think she's ceased milking? The only way to accurately evaluate her production is comparing her calf's performance amongst her contemporaries via an accurate scale.

Dsth said:
With my small herd of about 25 cows, I have saved heifers out of some of my favorites throughout the years. I have cut some of those calves a little slack when they did not live up to my expectations as mommies. I have since figured out that good cows don't always have heifer calves that make good cows. I now cull them the same as any other heifer that does not meet expectations. I would first take TCRanch's advise and see if their is an explanation for her to dry up. If the calf is 250 lbs. I would not expect mastitis because the calf should keep the cow's udder pretty much sucked dry which really helps prevent mastitis problems.

Yep, I've had a lot of nice looking calves from good lines that just didn't milk worth a darn, and some lesser looking cows that raise the best calves.. I've also found that some cows can make great steer/bull calves, but their heifer calves just never make the cut

If she brought a calf to 250 pounds at least it should short wean. I'd be inclined to maybe give her another shot next year.
But I'm a sucker for hard cases.. lol
U could pen mama for a day or two and see what her bag does. Maybe that calf is just a thirsty thirsty one!
Sounds like mama gave it a solid try anyway.
Best of luck!

No mastitis. This I'm sure.

Heifer had a high and tight udder. Neat teets. Nothing appears abnormal whatsoever.

The calf just doesnt look good and seems to be grazing so much harder than her mates.

ClinchValley86 said:
Kind of pot bellied and not as full as the others. I'll get a pic if I can get her to cooperate.

This post and the one above it bother me.
I lost a calf because I failed to realize this exact problem.
Wouldnt hurt to catch the calf and get some real feed to it. The rumen may not be developed enough to get enough nutrients from grass only.
Might be a good time to sell it to someone who wants a project. Sure would hate to hear it didnt make it.

I DID catch the last heifer i had dry up. Sold her baby as a bottle calf. Then sold mama after she was well. More project than I wanted.

The lil orphan growd up good. Kinda wish I'd have kept her now. Lol.
No. I dont. Her mama was a twat!

kenny thomas said:
A heifer is trying to grow a calf and still be growing herself. Sometimes the second calf they do much better

I've found some overdo it their first calf, then have a smaller 2nd calf.. 3rd one onward they're usually making whoppers

76 Bar said:
I've also found that some cows can make great steer/bull calves, but their heifer calves just never make the cut
I've experienced the same phenomenon over the years.
The opposite doesn't seem true though, if they can make good heifers, I'm usually not disappointed in their bull calves

Latest posts