Fixed income

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
I'm finally selling the house and moving to the farm I started 20 years ago. Wife just retired and I need to sock away some money safely. Shouldn't be a major problem to get short term CDs at 5.00%. Is that my best bet or other? Shouldn't need any of the money for the next couple of years.

I'm finally selling the house and moving to the farm I started 20 years ago. Wife just retired and I need to sock away some money safely. Shouldn't be a major problem to get short term CDs at 5.00%. Is that my best bet or other? Shouldn't need any of the money for the next couple of years.
Those are very safe at least.

Yeah, Treasury Money Market and Federal Money Market Funds at the Vanguard Group have been yielding over 5% for a while now. Can also set the account up with a checkbook option so it works just as well as any bank interest bearing account.

You can do a little better with a Treasury Direct Account. I am switching back to a Vanguard Money Market Account just because it can get to be a lot keeping up with maturing treasury notes.

Latest auction for Treasury Notes:
4 Week 5.375%
8 Week 5.393%
13 Week 5.395%
17 Week 5.406%
26 Week 5.366%

I might be inclined to buy dividend paying stocks that pay over 5%. They are out there, and there is the chance the stocks will also appreciate nicely over the next few years.
I don't see anything "safe" yielding over 5% right now, do you?

Yeah, Treasury Money Market and Federal Money Market Funds at the Vanguard Group have been yielding over 5% for a while now. Can also set the account up with a checkbook option so it works just as well as any bank interest bearing account.

You can do a little better with a Treasury Direct Account. I am switching back to a Vanguard Money Market Account just because it can get to be a lot keeping up with maturing treasury notes.

4 Week 5.375%
8 Week 5.393%
13 Week 5.395%
17 Week 5.406%
26 Week 5.366%
That's what I'm looking for right now, thanks

I have been playing a bit with some of the inherited money from parents estate.. One stock I like and have put some into is PDT.... pays around 8% dividend, monthly payments... good track record for over 20 years.... Thank you to @Caustic Burno for getting me to look at dividend stocks... not the one he suggested, but I am satisfied... also have a couple of "penny stocks"... paying in the 8-10% dividend ... and they are "fluid" as I can sell them if needed in a hurry.... might not make back what I have invested, if I had to sell fast.....but pretty stable... I try to buy a few more everytime the price drops below what the average I have in them... got a couple that if they get back to where my average cost is hit, I will sell... but that is part of it...

With the way gold is moving, don't count it out.
Bullion, ETF, miner stocks, support rolls, etc.
It's time, has a lot of solid reasons.
Just my 2c.

Don't ever bet the farm, on anything!

nvidia. AI is booming.
NVIDIA stock has gone up rapidly, but it also had a major drop recently. I own some but I also have an indefinite expiration sell order at a target price. It is a very volatile stock. I would not recommend unless you can stand the potential risk of a downturn. They are the AI leader but the competition is rising fast.

NVIDIA fell way down yesterday. Lost my butt. But it will be back. Look at ET it has a 8-9% dividend

4 Week 5.375%
8 Week 5.393%
13 Week 5.395%
17 Week 5.406%
26 Week 5.366%
My Vanguard and Fidelity bond and MM accounts in my 401k have not done well this year.

Latest posts