For those that are retired

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":29i2fqhg said:
I joke about a possum dog but for the last 3 years I have challenged all the local hunters to train or find me a small dog that will tree a possum and only a possum. It doesn't interest me to kill a lot of what I tree anyway. So far nobody has came up with one.
I don't know how or why anyone would climb those mountains for a possum. All I can figure is yall must have some really good possum up there.

kenny thomas":29m2j386 said:
I joke about a possum dog but for the last 3 years I have challenged all the local hunters to train or find me a small dog that will tree a possum and only a possum. It doesn't interest me to kill a lot of what I tree anyway. So far nobody has came up with one.

Definitely can't help you there

I plan to retire from my public job in 4 years. Perhaps I'm in for a shock, but I'm looking forward to it. So far, I've never understood this idea that people go crazy after they retire. Of course, nobody just sits around in a chair, but I think being in charge of my own schedule and not having to worry about the pressures of a job sounds magical. If I were doing this at age 20, then I would just be a bum, but after having put in my 30 years, it just seems like another natural step in life.

herofan":2nbruut7 said:
I plan to retire from my public job in 4 years. Perhaps I'm in for a shock, but I'm looking forward to it. So far, I've never understood this idea that people go crazy after they retire. Of course, nobody just sits around in a chair, but I think being in charge of my own schedule and not having to worry about the pressures of a job sounds magical. If I were doing this at age 20, then I would just be a bum, but after having put in my 30 years, it just seems like another natural step in life.

Most Type A, overachieving, go getters struggle with the mundane nature of retirement.

You'll do fine.

TennesseeTuxedo":1o65ebmg said:
herofan":1o65ebmg said:

Most Type A, overachieving, go getters struggle with the mundane nature of retirement.

You'll do fine.

That's probably true; everybody is wired differently. I'm a type B for sure.

By the time I hunt 3 or 4 hours in the morning, eat, take a nap and then hunt 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon there's not much left to do besides eat and sleep.

Kenny you can kill a half day down at the feed mill solving the worlds problems. Every time I go in there the room is full sitting around on a sack of feed.

TennesseeTuxedo":3i6tz0vq said:
herofan":3i6tz0vq said:

You'll do fine.

One of my best friends just retired after over 30 years as a very successful stockbroker in the Nashville-Brentwood area. He is definitely an overachiever. So far he seems to be adjusting quite well. He told me last week that every day is a Saturday to him now.

sstterry":116377z5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":116377z5 said:
herofan":116377z5 said:

You'll do fine.

One of my best friends just retired after over 30 years as a very successful stockbroker in the Nashville-Brentwood area. He is definitely an overachiever. So far he seems to be adjusting quite well. He told me last week that every day is a Saturday to him now.

Check back with him after a year of that.

TT you have to be ready to retire.
I didn't say quit achieving what is on the bucket list. I had a great job I was sick of dealing with government alphabet agencies supporting the biggest leaches of our society.Big difference in retirement and laying down and quitting, mind has to be ready.

Caustic Burno":28igsywo said:
I didn't say quit achieving what is on the bucket list. I had a great job I was sick of dealing with government alphabet agencies supporting the biggest leaches of our society.Big difference in retirement and laying down and quitting, mind has to be ready.

Most of my adult life I have been in a commission based industry. Truly a produce or starve lifestyle. I know that one day I'll have to wind down but I honestly think I'll go a little bonkers. Just being idle these past few days has been difficult.

TennesseeTuxedo":2gtgdqoc said:
Caustic Burno":2gtgdqoc said:

Most of my adult life I have been in a commission based industry. Truly a produce or starve lifestyle. I know that one day I'll have to wind down but I honestly think I'll go a little bonkers. Just being idle these past few days has been difficult.

Have you thought about raising Angus cattle? Keeping bull holes filled and fence repairs up would be a lot of busy work. :lol2: The advantage of Brimmers is they go over the fences.

TennesseeTuxedo":181lid59 said:
sstterry":181lid59 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":181lid59 said:

You'll do fine.

Check back with him after a year of that.

He has made a ton of money and was one of the top brokers in Nashville. He already has plans to start working for non-profits and charities. As he told me last year, he was ready to start giving back! I know for a fact that his local county 4-H club is going to be very surprised when he dies!

Latest posts