Gelbvieh/Shorthorn cross heifer opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

it hardly ever turns white... usually december/january are white, about the most snow on the ground at any given time is 9-12", but a lot of the time there's only a couple inches... temps in the winter hang out at about -10C (15F?), but it can dip down to about -20 for a week or two.... summertime temps can hit 40C (~105F)... a dry year gives us about 8" rain, maybe 15" on a wet year

Bah, what the heck, here's another pic

IMG_7031.jpg

I thought I'd update this thread a bit, it's been a while, and she's a cow now, and turned into a heck of a good one. She's grown the same belly her mother had, and also seems to like throwing monster bull calves, but doesn't seem to have any problems with it

She weaned her first calf (a steer) at 675 @205 days, Next was a heifer (Sofa) also weaned at about 675 (kept as a replacement), This year she had another steer and I weaned him early, he was about 650, but at only about 160 days. She was also a milk donor to a hungry little heifer for a while. She's got TONS of milk, like her mother, and has become my milk cow. She behaves perfectly for milking, leads with no effort.. I wouldn't mind if the rest of the herd was more like her.

All 3 of the calves she has had so far had the same sire as her, so no heterosis happening for sure, This coming year she'll be bred to a Limo, and I have high hopes.. And I hope for another heifer!

She does love eating, and she might not be epitome of efficiency, but it's nice to just see calves growing well and pushing on the scales

Here's her steer from this year

Got an extra sucker on there... Despite the steer being born at 130 lbs, he still wasn't able to finish his meals until he was a month old, so I recruited the help of the hungry heifer.. She tolerated it.

And her heifer from last year, at about 15 months old

Latest posts