Gelbvieh/Shorthorn cross heifer opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I have a heifer I'd like some opinions on

IMG_0828.jpg

video forthcoming....

Looks like a nice little heifer. In some spots in the video it looks like she might be a touch too straight in the back legs, but its hard to really judge that without seeing her in person. Thick, adequate length, I'd mayve clean her up a touch in the neck, but that could be her hair.

My favorite cross.

That's a pretty girl.

I am glad you were able to fight her off before she licked you to death.

I don't know all the reasons cattle are judged the way they are, but I'd like to know some reasoning behind why a cow who's "straight in the legs" would be judged less, and well, how does it affect the cow? I can see all the defects as bow-legged (Oh, wait, that's the cowboy), and etc.

also, this is also the way she looks everyday, she doesn't know what a brush or a trimmer is... though I'm sure she'd learn what a brush is rather quickly

I also kinda laugh when people talk about toplines (OK, I can definitely appreciate it too), but hey, bottom lines are better :p, and they should have significant bumps in them... heheh

When people talk about too straight in the rear legs, they are talking about looking at the heifer's profile.
If the animal is too straight (post legged) through the hocks, it will not walk well. There should be some angle in the hocks when viewed from the side. It is important that a cow be able to walk so that she can forage. The same for a bull. If he can't travel to eat or has problems mounting a cow due to his conformation, he isn't much good.

Post legged (or straight through the hocks) cattle seem to be popular in the show arena, especially steers.

chippie":46pduq6x said:
When people talk about too straight in the rear legs, they are talking about looking at the heifer's profile.
If the animal is too straight (post legged) through the hocks, it will not walk well. There should be some angle in the hocks when viewed from the side. It is important that a cow be able to walk so that she can forage. The same for a bull. If he can't travel to eat or has problems mounting a cow due to his conformation, he isn't much good.

Post legged (or straight through the hocks) cattle seem to be popular in the show arena, especially steers.

More in club calf sired animals than anything else. Luckily around here judges are getting a little better on critiquing that. Its very disappointing to watch a show and see a steer that hobbles win.

You don't need a video to see if she is too straight through the hocks. A side or profile still shot will do.
I can't see the video, but looking a your pictures I think that she is lovely.

the muscle comes from the gelbvieh, I've noticed a marked difference in the hindquarters with this gelbveih bull... we have had some nice shorthorns as well (Maddy), but even she doesn't quite compare with this one

well, with the logistics of giving water to all the cows and keeping heifers away from bulls, I chose to wean the remaining 2 heifers last weekend... would have liked to have them on milk another 2-3 weeks, but it was just too complicated... they aren't happy about this at all, 4 days later they still bawl all the time... I'm going to take a couple measurements and record the weights

brrr, it's cold.. -19C this morning

Latest posts