Getting cow's in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Is there a shot that works to put cow's in heat that you all have used with success? I have 2 cow's that are needing bred, I have a neighbor who knows how to AI, but they didn't recommend using the one kind of shot I think it was Lute? Any suggestions? I have semen in my neighbors tank, but the one cow I can't tell when she is in heat.

If you are 100% sure they aren't in calf two shots of lute 12 hours apart will bring them in. Lute will cause them to abort if in calf.. One shot will do but two works to synchronise them better. Lute is just prostaglandin and comes in various names. I use duramate which is the horse version but same stuff. Im unaware of other drugs that can bring on heat. You can go down the path of using a cidr first which would be your best option and doing timed a.i.

No I haven't tried heat detection aids. I'm not sure what to get there either. I will try the lute, thank you both for the advice!

How well does your neighbor AI?
What was the reason this person gave for not using Lute?
You can get heat detection aids like estrotech patches on Amazon, valley vet, large animal vet clinics and AI techs.
You will need a vet or Repro tech for the hormones like Lute. As said above you can use lute or do a full synchronization protocol like with cidr's.
A lot will depend on your set up and what your neighbor is willing to do or not do.

They used to AI all of their cattle 20 years ago, and they are certified to do AI. But they switched back to using a bull when life got to busy. They said that it would increase the chance of telling if the cow was in heat by 50% in their experience and that I would have to buy an entire bottle just to do 2 cow's, and they didn't seem to think it was worth it. my other neighbor who AI's All 150 of his milk cows said he prefers to do cows on natural heats and he didn't recommend the lute either. Also my vet wasn't very encouraging either when I asked about getting a bottle from them.

If you have the time to wait you can just put an estrotect patch on their tailhead and monitor.

If you need a more defined window we use a 7 day protocol using fertagyl plus a CIDR on the first day and then a shot of estrumate, pull CIDR, and apply a heat patch on day 7.

There are several options in detail at this link:

I'm not sure if it's worth the expense for you to order all the stuff to do one or two but you'll be stocked up for the future if you do. All depends on your situation.

They used to AI all of their cattle 20 years ago, and they are certified to do AI. But they switched back to using a bull when life got to busy. They said that it would increase the chance of telling if the cow was in heat by 50% in their experience and that I would have to buy an entire bottle just to do 2 cow's, and they didn't seem to think it was worth it. my other neighbor who AI's All 150 of his milk cows said he prefers to do cows on natural heats and he didn't recommend the lute either. Also my vet wasn't very encouraging either when I asked about getting a bottle from them.
I think doing milking cows is a different situation, they are coming into facilities twice a day so heat detection and retaining one to inseminate is all laid on.

Ken

You could get a ten dose bottle, and if properly stored, it would still be good next year. That's not a huge investment.

Latest posts