Good Laugh OR What normal supermarket beef consumer believes

Help Support CattleToday:

TnWI

Reaction score
I was just a local dairy farm auction, and was standing relatively close to the yearling pens when one of my coworkers came up to rehash some stuff from the week. (This farm was strictly dairy, and only had holstein cattle.)

He glanced over to the cattle pen where a nice year old black heifer stood and said "so thats what the Angus meat from the supermarket looks like when its still walking." I looked at him and said "why would you think that's a Angus?" He said (and in a tone that was to mean I was the idiot) "it's black isn't it?" :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm still laughing.

i think thats normal.

i would like the general public to at least recognize the holstein breed. or at least know its a dairy animal. but whatever.

i had a girlfriend one time who is one of the booksmartest people i know and she knew of two cattle breeds, Black Angus and Limousin. the reason she knew limousin is because there was one painted on a brick building one town down and it said limousin. Black cows are BlackAngus and red ones are Limousins.

According to the Beef Checkoff Program's 2005 National Beef Quaility Audit. Comparing dairy beef and beef from naive breeds.
The native breeds graded 2% prime and 17% choice.
The dairy breed graded 15% prime and 25% choice.
And dairy rarely fall below yield grade 3. The dairy breeds do well in meeting the consumers expectations for tenderness, flavor and juiciness. And for the producer delivers a more consistent end product. Of the 56.2% of cattle slaughtered that were black hided approximately 8% had Holstien genetics.
So maybe he was taking a jab at CAB.

He is ignorant and thinks he knows everything about farming - he has never been a farmer, yet he knows all ....... and if the print on the side of the tractor didn't tell ya who made it he wouldn't be able to tell a green and yellow John Deere from a red and white Farmall.

Don't you see black holsteins when you look at some of the more popular angus bulls being marketed for semen sales these days?

I know people that swear "black" angus meat is the best out there, now dont get me wrong i like angus my daughter shows them, but i invited this same group of friends over for steaks from my daughters 1 place champion brown swiss, and didnt tell them, they just automatically thought it was the angus, and they said it was the best steak they have ever had, they couldnt stop talking about how tender and juicy it was
we sold her second place holstein to a lady and she just called to tell us that it was better then any meat she has bought in a store and reserved one of her steers for next year,

The best meat we ever had was off of a Jersey steer a couple of years ago. It was so tender you could cut it with a butter knife.