Government Aid

Help Support CattleToday:

Flaboy - If you want to retire, don't apply for the EQUIP program. It is no easy feat, we will be doing all the work our self so we will be doing more work in the coming years then a retired person would probably want to do. It's not just free money. We have to pay for everything up front, do everything up to their standards, and we have to claim the cost share amount as income for the farm. Yes, in the long run our farm will be better off and better maintained but we will be at the mercy of our Conservation District for the 10 years that our contract will be effective and we have to maintain all of the fences, pipe lines, and pastures to their specifications for 20 years or risk a fine (If I understand all the mountains of paperwork I've read) But, like I said, this will give us more of a reason to keep the place up.

I have gotten money for drought feed assistance and to help with permanent pasture improvement by adding lime and clover. I haven't applied for any of the other matching money due to the other programs did not fit into what I want to do and the rules and regulations and restrictions made it so that it would cost me more to do it their way, after I got the money than it would to do it my way with none of their money. Alot of the programs aren't geared toward making sense, but some do help in certain circumstances

sidney411":x93cwrul said:
Flaboy - If you want to retire, don't apply for the EQUIP program. It is no easy feat, we will be doing all the work our self so we will be doing more work in the coming years then a retired person would probably want to do. It's not just free money. We have to pay for everything up front, do everything up to their standards, and we have to claim the cost share amount as income for the farm. Yes, in the long run our farm will be better off and better maintained but we will be at the mercy of our Conservation District for the 10 years that our contract will be effective and we have to maintain all of the fences, pipe lines, and pastures to their specifications for 20 years or risk a fine (If I understand all the mountains of paperwork I've read) But, like I said, this will give us more of a reason to keep the place up.

Well, I just want to retire so I can move on to my other job. Currently my Dad watches over the ranch and I just fix what is broken and do all the other work also. Basically I have been working two jobs for many years. Some ask how I do it and I say not how by why and why is because I love my cattle and the life. My other job is paying for getting the ranch in a condition where I won't have to put out a lot cash when I no longer have that weekly paycheck. Tractors and other equipment is not cheap. I have also been doing a lot of culling and replacements lately.

The Aid was just a joke but if someone wants to aid me I'm all for it. :lol:

Flaboy - I know where you are coming from. My husband and I both work full time jobs, plus part time jobs (we have a lawn care business) plus all the farm work - which could qualify for a full time job if you count all the hours in a week put into it. It seems like we work our rear-ends off just so we have some money to buy things to work with and on. Right now we are in the process of looking for haying equipment to spend more money on so we can work on it. :lol: It's a never ending battle - but I love it!

sidney411":1y434dfl said:
Flaboy - I know where you are coming from. My husband and I both work full time jobs, plus part time jobs (we have a lawn care business) plus all the farm work - which could qualify for a full time job if you count all the hours in a week put into it. It seems like we work our rear-ends off just so we have some money to buy things to work with and on. Right now we are in the process of looking for haying equipment to spend more money on so we can work on it. :lol: It's a never ending battle - but I love it!

Yeah, I heard that. I am going to pick up a gooseneck equipment trailer today. Need a new hay mower, would like to have a good old cheap square baler for some horse folks who want hay, and lets see, I need to finish that last 50 feet of hay barn.

Angus Guy said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry is right. Go to your local extension office. They have money for fencing off wooded areas, fencing off live water, building ponds, drought feed assistance, permanent pasture establishment, lime application to fields, etc. There are alot of programs that are available and you may qualify for alot of them or just a few, all depending on what you intend to do. They can tell you what is available and what you need to do to qualify. Good luck

This sounds like the EQUIP program. It looks like a good deal on the surface, but the fences you have to jump are tough. If anybody is working with EQUIP I would like know what you think. :lol:

I have been in an EQUIP program for the past few years and some are good and some are not so good. You have to build everything to their specs. Some time's the cost share is not enough that you can build it cheaper your way without the cost share money and sometimes it works out fine in the program. I was in a program to build ponds and that worked out real well. Also I had a three year cost share for spraying weeds. That was good since your going to spray anyway. You just need to call your county extention and see what is available in your area. They are able to get into your business a little but that was ok. The people you will deal with are usually like us.

John,

I would be very cautious with any govenment grant or assistance of any kind. My guess is you would have to give up something in return to get it. "If it sounds to good to be true...". Seen and heard of it happening.

Latest posts