Hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah, with all the construction going on, the hydra-seeders keep the prices up. And they don't care if it is junk. During the boom times of the 1st six Bush years, hell, no one bothered much with fertilizing, lime, and weed control. Once the Reid-Paloosey recession hit in 2007, good hay started being made again, when construction hit the brakes HARD after the Nov 2016 election. When the Obama depression hit in 2009, there wasn't any hydra-seeding at all. Still some good hay being made, but the hydra-seeders keep the prices up. Normally good hay would be cheap, as much as was made around here, but fertilizer and fuel prices the last 2 years have kept prices above the 2019 and earlier prices.
I just done a bunch of hydra seeding for erosion control and it's got crazy expensive. Went up $ 1000 an acre over last 2 years

Due to extremely low buyer turnout I bought a couple loads of 4x5 rounds of meadow hay for $10 bale at auction. Didn't weigh them, but estimate purchase at $29 ton. I wasn't there to bid, but at that price couldn't pass them by. Large sq bales of alfalfa that should have brought $70+ sold for $50.
where was the sale?

Local sale arena here in Minnesota and weather, road conditions limited turnout.
Where are you located? How about adding your general location to your profile? Stonewall J hmm....my guess is Virgina perhaps Chancellorsville. :)
Pretty sure he is in Louisiana, actually in another post it says 20 miles south of I-20 in Stonewall, LA.

Pretty sure he is in Louisiana, actually in another post it says 20 miles south of I-20 in Stonewall, LA.
Okay, never heard of Stonewall, La... would be easier if added general location to profile. Surprised he asked location of sale when Minnesota is my posted location and thought maybe he was in Minnesota and interested in attending the sales.

Okay, never heard of Stonewall, La... would be easier if added general location to profile. Surprised he asked location of sale when Minnesota is my posted location and thought maybe he was in Minnesota and interested in attending the sales.
At that price he may be interested in getting a load shipped south.

I don't know why people won't do that. It ought to be a default/required field for when you create a profile.

Latest posts