heifer seems to have started...

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
birthing process. Husband checked on her and she has what he called "snotty" stuff hanging out. What would be the next process to look for? She seems to have hollowed out, her hip bones are protruded. Any idea of time line, 12 hours, 24 hours? We are expecting wet weather here tonight, so may need to move her closer to the barn.

If you can get her into the barn it would be great...they usually have them where you don't want them to anyway.
Sounds like she is getting ready. Look for the tail held high or straightening out, hunching and walking backward, belly kicking.
Some exhibit some of the signs some just straighten the tail hunker down and let fly.
Good luck to you. DMc

well still no baby this morning. her bag is full, her genital are really sagging and swollen. I noticed she is swinging her head around and trying lick her back area, and has different kind of walk. She did eat her grain and some hay this morning. I don't notice her laying down more than usual or straining at all.

Well we have a cow that has had "goobers" on and off for three weeks now, her bag is tight and her other parts aren't - those "signs" can often happen for weeks before calving. Depends on the cow - personally I wouldn't mess with her, locking her up etc. - I think it stresses them and interferes with the calving process.

Unless she is actively kicking her belly, the goobers are thick and rather brownish rather than clear, carrying her tail out, separating herself from the rest, up and down, walking fences, humped up - just let her be.

Just my opinion...

jmbadavis":15s66y09 said:
birthing process. Husband checked on her and she has what he called "snotty" stuff hanging out. What would be the next process to look for? She seems to have hollowed out, her hip bones are protruded. Any idea of time line, 12 hours, 24 hours? We are expecting wet weather here tonight, so may need to move her closer to the barn.

Tough to guess on how much longer you will need to wait. I've seen the snotty stuff hanging out for as long a 2 or 3 weeks. As she gets closer to calving her vulva area will become like jelly. This mean she is dialating. She may become restless and separate away from the other cattle. As she begins to come into labor she may kick at her belly, she may lay down and get up, etc... You may notice a small ball hanging out her vulva that will be a transparent milky type of look. This is the water bag. Her contractions should break the water. Once the water breaks you should have a calf on the ground within a few minutes. If you don't have a calf on the ground within a half hour or so, you may want to consider pulling. Once the calf gets into the birth canal and up in the hip area, the calf becomes very vulnerable to hypoxia due to the embilical cord being pinched. On most of my heifers, from the time I see them going into labor, if I don't see significant progress within an hour, we get them into the chute so we can check on things, to make sure everything is okay. If you have not done this before, you will need to call your vet. If this is an emergency farm call, you can expect a $200 to $250 vet bill.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Left home yesterday afternoon around 3:30 pm, no change in heifer. She ate her pm grain and hay, didn't seem restless or anything. Came home at 9:15 pm, baby on the ground and she was licking her. So heifer didn't have any problems. Calf was up within an hour and sucking. Heifer seems to be a good mamma. She was standing still for baby to drink right away. Boy am I glad that part is over. Have both mom and baby in dry bedding in the shed.

Now see, that is all you had to do! Just leave and they ALWAYS calve!!

Congrats - that is how it is supposed to happen!!

Latest posts