Hello, I know nothing about the bovine species

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer JT

Reaction score
I am as green as it comes to raising cattle. I have a friend in Alabama that has a grain mill. Where should I start?

I am as green as it comes to raising cattle. I have a friend in Alabama that has a grain mill. Where should I start?
You'll need a cow-cow here and a cow-cow there, here a cow there a cow everywhere a cow-cow. Or if you want to do it right you'll need land, forages, fences and facilities. Wait to buy the 3500 dually until later.

You'll need a cow-cow here and a cow-cow there, here a cow there a cow everywhere a cow-cow. Or if you want to do it right you'll need land, forages, fences and facilities. Wait to buy the 3500 dually until later.
Damn! its all about the 3500 Dually lol You have cow-cow for sale?

You should exchange your youth and inexperience for my wisdom and experience and leave the worrying about
the cattle to me.

Welcome to the forum JT! What is it you want to do with cows? Do you have property, good fences, working pens, or a plan? To get started you'll need all of the above. This is a great resource-I read everyday here and although I'm not new to cows anymore (I was when I created my account here), I'm always picking up so new info or at least staying entertained 😁. If you can share some of your plan the good folks here can certainly provide you some input.

Wait to buy the 3500 dually until later.
What? Eb, That's NOT how it's done and you know it. You buy the 40' aluminum GN 1st, then the 3500 dually to pull it with, then the cow cows and THEN the land to put'em on. (Somewhere in between all that a pair of $400 Justins and a $300 long oval cowboy hat an a 1/2 dozen pair of Wrangler pro rodeo cowboy cut jeans and a nice leather belt with a big shiny belt buckle..)

Seriously tho..
FarmerJT: Welcome to CT. Lots of information here, cumulatively a century or more of experience and knowledge too. All at you fingertips.

Not trying to bother you or anyone with the cow-cow or the dually but welcome and take a ride on the CT express. The best advice I can honestly give: learn your soils, climate and environment. Study up on both soil fertility and soil health. Then learn about forages in your area. Then get interested in the livestock. It saves a bushel of woes to know what to do before you try it the wrong way and lose too much money and time.

Welcome also from Va. You will find a wealth of info... and a ton of good ole BS here too. And yes, you will get all the razzing that they can dish out.

Getting a job, even a part-time helping out job, on a farm/ranch is the very best way to go to learn if you even like working with cattle. Some do better with crops than animals... some are just plain good with a cow/calf operation and others do better with feeders... some like me like their dairy cows, but have beef cattle also.
@NewRenoFarmsInKY is right... share some of your ideas, thoughts, wants, plans.... so someone can maybe help you.
WE all started somewhere.. some grew up in cattle families... some had it in their distant background and wanted to farm (like me)....some just decided they wanted a different type life and jumped in.....

Also. @Named'em Tamed'em is in Washington... you can PM him through that little envelope on the top right of the screen.... you might be close enough that you could meet and maybe go there... he might be able to use a little help or point you to someone closer to you....

Get some experience before you get buried in debt... make sure this is what you really like... and make the commitment to it and then decide it is just not "IT" for you. It is a great life... but it has alot of "those moments" when you wonder if you are the stupidest person for taking on the aggravations and problems and break downs and hard work.... and then a brand new calf from a first time heifer that is doing a bang up job of what nature intended, and a beautiful sunrise, or a welcome rainstorm.... or a wagon load of hay on the way to the barn... will make it worth it....

Welcome, JT. What is it exactly that you want to start doing? Cow/calf? Feeders? Milking? How much land do you own? Is it fenced? Any buildings on it? Corrals, cross-fencing, head gate. chute and working pens? Regardless of which way you go, one of the first things you need to do is ask around the local sale barn, co-op, county extension agent...for recomendations on a good person to either sprig .....or drill hulled seeds...to establish a good stand of KUDZU.

Welcome! Visit with your county extension agents and get all the info you can from them. Join your local Cattlemens association and make contacts. Work for a farmer to gain experience. Preferably more than one. Never stop learning. Good luck

Latest posts