HELP!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Ox21167

Reaction score
I was with my dad, giving some goats some shots, and got stuck with a needle that had Ivomec in it. I squeezed out a little bit of the blood, wiped it off, and put a bandaid on it. Will I be alright? :cry2:

Ox21167 said:
I was with my dad, giving some goats some shots, and got stuck with a needle that had Ivomec in it. I squeezed out a little bit of the blood, wiped it off, and put a bandaid on it. Will I be alright? :cry2:

You should be fine. Was the needle sterile or had it already been inserted into a goat? The possibility of contracting a blood borne disease from a needle that has been inserted into an animal is a greater risk than the small amount of Ivomec on the needle.

Ox21167 said:
It had just come out of the goat.........

Needle pricks are not unusual. I have experienced needle pokes a couple times. Just be glad it wasn't a human with AIDS.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ox21167 said:

Probably not.

Pretty sure that is the hallmark beginnings of turning into a Chupacabra. Or a Werewolf.

Either case, fairly certain you're a goner.

Any and all joshing aside, needle pricks go with the territory but should not be taken lightly. At the least make sure you're up to date on Tetanus inoculation. Can't speak for Ivomec but I can assure you the adjuvent in clostridial vaccines will cause agony.

76 Bar said:
Any and all joshing aside, needle pricks go with the territory but should not be taken lightly. At the least make sure you're up to date on Tetanus inoculation. Can't speak for Ivomec but I can assure you the adjuvent in clostridial vaccines will cause agony.

Will I be ok without the tetanus shot? I really don't want one.

Ox21167 said:
76 Bar said:

It would be extremely unlikely that you contracted Clostridium tetani (tetanus) from a needle that was only exposed to the intramuscular or subcutaneous tissue of a goat. Tetanus is contracted by punctures or cuts involving "soiled" objects subjected to manure, soil, debris, etc. Not the fresh blood or tissue of a mammal. Clostridium tetani is anaerobic, it cannot thrive in oxygenated tissue. If the needle was sterile before you employed it to inject Ivomec, it would not have picked up Clostridium tetani from fresh blood or tissue of the goat.

If it were me, I wouldn't do anything but if you really want to be at peace, make an appointment and go to a family or general practice physician.

At one time or another, I've been wormed, vaccinated, knocked my eggs off, been aborted, never been to the dr, I am a little heavy(from worming I'm sure) If you dont start blatn I think you will be fine.

bse said:
At one time or another, I've been wormed, vaccinated, knocked my eggs off, been aborted, never been to the dr, I am a little heavy(from worming I'm sure) If you dont start blatn I think you will be fine.

What he said.

I suggest selling the goats. If they aren't yours don't go back to help. Anyone that's scared to get a shot has no business around any kind of livestock. Oh yea I'm pretty sure you will live, surely you don't think you're the first person to get stuck with ivomec or have it get into a cut on your hand. If it were Micotil it would be a different story.

Bright Raven said:
Ox21167 said:
76 Bar said:

It would be extremely unlikely that you contracted Clostridium tetani (tetanus) from a needle that was only exposed to the intramuscular or subcutaneous tissue of a goat. Tetanus is contracted by punctures or cuts involving "soiled" objects subjected to manure, soil, debris, etc. Not the fresh blood or tissue of a mammal. Clostridium tetani is anaerobic, it cannot thrive in oxygenated tissue. If the needle was sterile before you employed it to inject Ivomec, it would not have picked up Clostridium tetani from fresh blood or tissue of the goat.

If it were me, I wouldn't do anything but if you really want to be at peace, make an appointment and go to a family or general practice physician.

THANK YOU! You seem to be an expert. I will just go see a physician to check it out, and watch for swelling.

Is that all I should do?

Lucky said:
I suggest selling the goats. If they aren't yours don't go back to help. Anyone that's scared to get a shot has no business around any kind of livestock. Oh yea I'm pretty sure you will live, surely you don't think you're the first person to get stuck with ivomec or have it get into a cut on your hand. If it were Micotil it would be a different story.

Or putting it bluntly.....

Latest posts