Hemp

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
Does anyone know of someone that feeds hemp hay to cattle? Suppose to be pretty good source of protein and fat. Would you do it?

I have heard of Sunn hemp (Crotalaria juncea L.) being grown as a summer annual for cattle feed. I saw a youtube video of cows being turned into a patch of it. It is not the same plant family as Cannabis. The name is confusing. I think pdfangus planted some Sunn hemp a few years ago as a cover crop. I am considering planting some just to see how it does here in KY. It is a legume, so it fixes nitrogen. I read it can get 6 feet tall. It looks like alfalfa on steroids!

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs142p2_053283.pdf

Actually cannabis (hemp) is high in lignin, which cows can't digest, so most of your nutrients will be locked up.

sun hemp makes good grazing and it is a deep rooted legume...I have never tried to make hay out of it...horses and cows love it...

While we're on the subject of sunn hemp, I can't say enough good things about it. I plant about 5-10lbs of it in my summer annual mixes, and it's the only summer legume which can keep up with the Pearl millet and sorghum sudan. It grows and regrows aggressively, and they say it can provide up to 90 lbs of N. Cows will choose the grasses and other legumes over it, but they will eat it. It tends to get stemmy when tall, but they will still strip the leaves at that point.

CCCowman said:
Does anyone know of someone that feeds hemp hay to cattle? Suppose to be pretty good source of protein and fat. Would you do it?

At $50 per pound for hemp . Why would you even think of it ? We are trying to plant 200 acres of hemp this spring. 1250 plants per acre , average 1-1.5 pounds of hemp per plant $50 -$75 per plant.

Don't know how the law currently reads or will read, but I know of a farmer that decided to make some fast money on the side. He planted 12 acres of Hemp:
Hemp; from my Imac dictionary:

The cannabis plant, especially when grown for its fiber.
• the fiber of the cannabis plant, extracted from the stem and used to make rope, stout fabrics, fiberboard, and paper.
• used in names of other plants that yield hemplike fiber, e.g., Manila hemp.
• marijuana.

............continuing with my true story, up on the Red River sandy watershed...between Texas and Oklahoma.

Thought it was a cool idea till the Feds found out. He died in Fed. prison.

Hemp is now legal under the Farm Bill as long as thc is under .3% it is processed for CBD oil

Richnm said:
CCCowman said:

At $50 per pound for hemp . Why would you even think of it ? We are trying to plant 200 acres of hemp this spring. 1250 plants per acre , average 1-1.5 pounds of hemp per plant $50 -$75 per plant.
I'm doing the same.... 15 acres, not 200. I'd heard you grind and/or bale the leftovers (stalks, etc) and it made good cattle feed.

Where you selling yours? I haven't seen or heard of prices near that high. I've gotten $3-$5 per cbd percent.

We found a partner because we know nothing about hemp. He is supplying clones and has an extraction company. We agreed on a $figure per pound of flower. It is very easy to sell. I haven't heard about grinding it up or baleing it. Fiber is much less money than cbd. Fiber is about $300 a ton , close to alfalfa money. CBD is closer to $50-$100k an acre

Richnm said:
CCCowman said:

How many mexicans are going to work for you on that spread? It is getting going pretty big here for next year. Mostly tobacco farmers growing some. That already have the h2a's Most are expecting Altria to be big dog in it pretty fast.

Richnm said:
We found a partner because we know nothing about hemp. He is supplying clones and has an extraction company. We agreed on a $figure per pound of flower. It is very easy to sell. I haven't heard about grinding it up or baleing it. Fiber is much less money than cbd. Fiber is about $300 a ton , close to alfalfa money. CBD is closer to $50-$100k an acre
I hope you got collateral before you start because if it's worth 100k an acre every farmer in the US will grow it and flood the market. It will be worth less than it cost to harvest then.

We gonna need help at harvest 1250 plants per acre. I have a crew of Natives that can outwork any crew around. We ( I help) have hauled 5,000 bales a day out of the field on a 24 foot gooseneck by hand. Need to cut each plant at the stock with a saw and hang upside down.

He paid for my lost crops and tractor work upfront. Check cleared. I wasn't gonna take a chance. Worse case i plant alfalfa again. I assume the market is going to be flooded very quickly. Kentucky is suppose to lead the way. I am sure 100k an acre will fall quickly.

kenny thomas said:
Richnm said:
I hope you got collateral before you start because if it's worth 100k an acre every farmer in the US will grow it and flood the market. It will be worth less than it cost to harvest then.

Probably some government welfare tied into it somewhere, and if not the farmers will get bailed out. What part of Hemp is food? Brownies maybe?

Latest posts