Hemp

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Anybody thinking about growing hemp?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/marijuana/sns-usda-legal-hemp-rule-20191030-qxnbljdkdjcdjn4edxzwofe5xm-story.html%3foutputType=amp

It is all the talk here in KY, lots of folks jumping on the bandwagon. Decades ago it and tobacco were the main crops here probably. Now it's making a comeback in a major way. I think I'll let that wagon pass me by. From what I understand it's more complicated and labor intensive than tobacco. I hope that it does the folks well that are growing it.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
We have two old tobacco barns full of it right now. We didn't grow it but we're letting a friend cure part of his crop in our barns. Stuff sure does stink.

There's an idea, maybe I could rent barn space, don't think I would like the odor though was glad when we no longer hung tobacco in them for that reason

I don't grow hemp. I grow marijuana for high thc content. We had a medical license for about 5 years and now hold a recreational one. It's outrageously profitable. But. Where we are from it's all about who you know. It's also really easy to mess up. We spent a year just working on regulating humidity and bugs. It required a large upfront investment.

Ky hills said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
We have two old tobacco barns full of it right now. We didn't grow it but we're letting a friend cure part of his crop in our barns. Stuff sure does stink.

There's an idea, maybe I could rent barn space, don't think I would like the odor though was glad when we no longer hung tobacco in them for that reason

With the proper filters smell isn't an issue. You only smell it strong when the plants are in flower and if you build a good system you won't smell it. I've taken livestock barns and built a room inside a room. That way it's easy to remove and it's self contained. The hard thing about hemp products is it absorbs it's surrounding smells. I once raised pigs in my barn well I dried out some marijuana plants. Literally smelt like pig. I called the strain "pig skunk weed". But even hay. Hay in the barn will make your plants smell like hay, and smell is important. You want it to smell potent. But that being said. If you were around these parts with a barn with power, with water, you could get $10,000-$30,000 every 3-4 months depending on the size.

There is a lot of it that has been grown around here this year. There is a local guy that raised a lot of it and is going to process it as well.

Some interest around here in PA. Personally. I don't think the markets have developed. I would hate to go to the expence to produce a crop and can't sell it.

snoopdog said:
How do you process the non thc variety, bales?

Dry it and extract. Multiple ways to extract. Heat, chemicals, pressure etc. But growing is one thing, extracting is a whole other business.

Government just sign most all the states legalize hemp. May have been good money in it when fewer was in the market not sure the demand will be as great until the need caughts up. Its actually really cool what all products they can make from hemp thats better from the environment.
Cowgal knows what she is talking about. Marijuana and hemp is grown similarly. They are kind like cousins for lack of wording.
I smells but not like stinky chicken houses or hog confinement houses. Just my two cents. 😁

Chevy said:
Government just sign most all the states legalize hemp. May have been good money in it when fewer was in the market not sure the demand will be as great until the need caughts up. Its actually really cool what all products they can make from hemp thats better from the environment.
Cowgal knows what she is talking about. Marijuana and hemp is grown similarly. They are kind like cousins for lack of wording.
I smells but not like stinky chicken houses or hog confinement houses. Just my two cents. 😁
I'd rather live next to a hemp barn than a chicken barn any day.

alisonb said:
Anybody thinking about growing hemp?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/marijuana/sns-usda-legal-hemp-rule-20191030-qxnbljdkdjcdjn4edxzwofe5xm-story.html%3foutputType=amp

I just got my license and will be growing next year...

cowgal604 said:
Ky hills said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

With the proper filters smell isn't an issue. You only smell it strong when the plants are in flower and if you build a good system you won't smell it. I've taken livestock barns and built a room inside a room. That way it's easy to remove and it's self contained. The hard thing about hemp products is it absorbs it's surrounding smells. I once raised pigs in my barn well I dried out some marijuana plants. Literally smelt like pig. I called the strain "pig skunk weed". But even hay. Hay in the barn will make your plants smell like hay, and smell is important. You want it to smell potent. But that being said. If you were around these parts with a barn with power, with water, you could get $10,000-$30,000 every 3-4 months depending on the size.

I have 2 green houses that were set up to grow tobacco plants hadnt been used in about 15 years but everything seems functional and or with a lil cost to make everything good to go

skyhightree1 said:
cowgal604 said:
Ky hills said:

I have 2 green houses that were set up to grow tobacco plants hadnt been used in about 15 years but everything seems functional and or with a lil cost to make everything good to go

Awesome! Good luck with it!

Lots got planted around here. Harvest turned out to be too challenging for some - they left lots of it in the fields.
Growing indoor marijuana and growing field hemp is a totally different ball game. One farm tried to harvest with a combine - didn't work. Then they had 4 workers walking in front of the combine & chucking the plants into the combine - that didn't work. Now, one of our friends is going to try to develop some kind of equipment to mechanically harvest it.
Having tobacco barns around would be a big bonus, since I was told you have to hang hemp & dry it like tobacco.
There are several processing plants popping up right now. Got one about 15 minutes from here.
People (kids) keep stealing it, but it doesn't do them any good. Does not have THC, only CBD. Dummies!!! Looks and smells like marijuana. Nice plots look like little Christmas trees all over.

Latest posts