Hereford bull ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at a Hereford bull that doesn't have eye pigment to put on black cows. Anyway, I like the Hereford bull and wonder how much it really matters to not have eye pigment when breeding to black cows.

tncattle":2thi2t1e said:
I'm currently looking at a Hereford bull that doesn't have eye pigment to put on black cows. Anyway, I like the Hereford bull and wonder how much it really matters to not have eye pigment when breeding to black cows.
the pigment really doesnt matter when your breeding to black cows.as some of them should through goggled eyed calves.

bigbull338":1hhjod1k said:
tncattle":1hhjod1k said:
the pigment really doesnt matter when your breeding to black cows.as some of them should through goggled eyed calves.
that's kind of what I thought but wasn't exactly sure

If the bull gets pinkeye might not breed cows for a few days. You always need to try and pick bulls with the least chance of problems when you can. If it was me i would be looking to make the owner all the profit i could.

Some of my Herefords have pigmented eyes, some do not. Some have one pigmented eye.... In Wisconsin I have only had one case of pinkeye in one cow 6 years and that was easily cleared up by a vet visit. My vet says his black Angus get pinkeye regularly too. He mentions transmission by flies and fly control seems like a bigger factor than eye pigment.

Despite all the focus on eye pigment, I would choose a bull on other more important criteria like calving ease, milk, and any of the other EPD's important to you rather than disqualifying a bull solely because of eye pigment.

jmho and (limited) experience.

Jim

I think the eye set / eye pigment deal is more about cancer eye? Pink eye is an infection that can occur in all times of the year and hits all colour cattle. I have read here on CT that sunlight may make it worse, although I am seriously doubting that eye pigment has such a tremendous effect. Like Jim says, there are more important issues when selecting bulls. :2cents:

Pinkeye is a infection. Infections is not good for bull fertility sometimes. When you do what you can to prevent problems you will be glad you did.

ANAZAZI":3f7brpl7 said:
I think the eye set / eye pigment deal is more about cancer eye? Pink eye is an infection that can occur in all times of the year and hits all colour cattle. I have read here on CT that sunlight may make it worse, although I am seriously doubting that eye pigment has such a tremendous effect. Like Jim says, there are more important issues when selecting bulls. :2cents:
well sure they are,,, but why not deal witgh the question asked.. theres a simple reason they asked..not how to build a factory
:cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":1ll2kfhh said:
ANAZAZI":1ll2kfhh said:
well sure they are,,, but why not deal witgh the question asked.. theres a simple reason they asked..not how to build a factory
:cowboy:

I hear you.

Latest posts