herefords: horned vs. polled

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1meat77g said:
One of the Polled Hereford breeders with a slightly different outlook on things discusses scurs on his website. He maintaines that some significant possible contributers to the breed have been elimiated by not using them for breeding.
My only personal problem with scurs it the way they bleed when they eventually get torn off. We've never had a scurred cow that didn't tear them off by the time they were 4-5 years old.

dun
If this is the person I think it is, he is also a college professor.

greenwillowherefords":xcpdsnvk said:

Is being a college professor supposed to make him a better cattleman than the BREEDERS out working and studying their cattle on a daily basis?

txag":3vnaek4x said:
You just don't understand, txag. Purrfessers is smarter than the rest of us. That's how come they're making $90K a year telling us what to do instead of doing it! If most of them tried to do it for a living, we'd need a new government program just to feed 'em!

Texan":2t39qdmp said:
txag":2t39qdmp said:
You just don't understand, txag. Purrfessers is smarter than the rest of us. That's how come they tell us what to do instead of doing it! If most of them tried to do it for a living...

Those who can't, teach!!!

la4angus":14ostztu said:
greenwillowherefords":14ostztu said:

Is being a college professor supposed to make him a better cattleman than the BREEDERS out working and studying their cattle on a daily basis?
Then on the other hand, he is also a breeder.

greenwillowherefords":1dy9t8db said:
Then on the other hand, he is also a breeder.

now that gives him more credibility than just saying he's a professor but it still doesn't say why his opinion is better than anyone else's.

It might help us draw the correct conclusion if we knew who you were refering to.

professor or not, breeder or not, the fact remains that it's still just his opinion.

funny you mention Online. we have not used Online and don't plan to. same with Wrangler. some folks may say we're passing up some of the best genetics. are we? maybe, maybe not, but it's all just opinion.

also, the best genetics for what? maternal, growth, carcass? what someone may consider the "best genetics" may not fit in with someone else's program.

certherfbeef":34qcin49 said:
It might help us draw the correct conclusion if we knew who you were refering to.
Gary Witherspoon of Witherspoon's Nizhoni Herefords. That Indian name I may have spelled wrong. It means something like "good" or something like that. I have lost the paper that had the website on it. My search engine can find it if I logout and take the time to do it instead of weed-eating my yard, but if I don't weed-eat, my wife is going to be unhappy.
I would like to know if txag likes Ore 549 F243 bloodlines. What about RHF Victors? I'm impressed with PW Victor Boomer P606 as well. I like Farley and Timber. I tried unsuccessfully to AI to Timber, but I work too many hours to get up every 2 hours trying to catch a heifer in standing heat when a good bull can do it while I sleep. Later, Timber's MM EPD fell by 50%, so I wasn't as disappointed. Disposition and carcass along with longevity are my main priorities.

txag":1xv6bfkk said:
professor or not, breeder or not, the fact remains that it's still just his opinion.

funny you mention Online. we have not used Online and don't plan to. same with Wrangler. some folks may say we're passing up some of the best genetics. are we? maybe, maybe not, but it's all just opinion.

also, the best genetics for what? maternal, growth, carcass? what someone may consider the "best genetics" may not fit in with someone else's program.
Why havn't you used online? Did you see him as a calf at Denver? Please critique him for me.

ollie":1ad7zrik said:
Why havn't you used online? Did you see him as a calf at Denver? Please critique him for me.

one of the main reasons we haven't used him is his lack of pigment. also, i have seen quite a few of his offspring & just haven't been all that impressed. they're good but not great......at least not great enough to overlook those white, white eyes (on him & on the majority of the calves i've seen). we don't breed for goggle-eyes but in our area pigment is important & something most of customers even look for.

we've used a couple of other remitall bulls & a keynote son and the calves from them were also not quite what we expected.

greenwillowherefords":1auo3lqq said:
I would like to know if txag likes Ore 549 F243 bloodlines. What about RHF Victors?

F243 has some good daughters/granddaughters in production but you can see some scurs w/the F243 bloodlines.

you won't find better females than the 103T & 2105's.

txag":3e8bwp1f said:
greenwillowherefords":3e8bwp1f said:
I would like to know if txag likes Ore 549 F243 bloodlines. What about RHF Victors?

F243 has some good daughters/granddaughters in production but you can see some scurs w/the F243 bloodlines.

you won't find better females than the 103T & 2105's.
I do like 103T. I also like several of the Feltons, like 517. I like the young KCF Bennett bull that they were promoting a few months back. His breeder said he ratioed at 155% marbling, and even in their Angus herd, he would have ratioed 115%. His EPDs are in the top percentile for most traits. A former Genex employee told me that he could drive through a pasture and spot Boyd Heavy Hitter calves they were so good.
What are your top ten all-time favorite Hereford bulls?

greenwillowherefords":16booykc said:
A former Genex employee told me that he could drive through a pasture and spot Boyd Heavy Hitter calves they were so good.

we had some Hitter calves & they were ok. we even kept a Hitter son & used him, but i'm not sure about them being so good that you can drive through & pick them out.

not sure i could give ten all-time favorites. 103T & 2105 would definitely be at the top for producing females and i also like the Rusty females.

txag":39fg0my7 said:
greenwillowherefords":39fg0my7 said:
A former Genex employee told me that he could drive through a pasture and spot Boyd Heavy Hitter calves they were so good.

we had some Hitter calves & they were ok. we even kept a Hitter son & used him, but i'm not sure about them being so good that you can drive through & pick them out.

not sure i could give ten all-time favorites. 103T & 2105 would definitely be at the top for producing females and i also like the Rusty females.

Like the Braxton Giant and Victor cross. Always liked Jimmy Farringtons line. And the Farringtons you can spot

Latest posts