HF Kodiak

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake, I haven't seen any out of him, but used a son- hf prowler on a handful.

There was 3 or 4 settled. Either 2 heifers and a bull or 3 heifers and a bull. I'd half to look now.

They're March born so a lot to see yet, but one of the heifers might end up at the top of the pile. I really like her, long and thick.

Bull calf looks pretty respectable as well.

I'll see what we end up with, but there's a good chance I'll go back with him again.

I do kind of like Prowler as well and with the price spread if I end up using something it will likely be Prowler

The Prowler bull has an unacceptably short tail. The Kodiak bull does not. Angus already has problems with short tails that don't function.

JWBrahman":k3wklu5e said:
The Prowler bull has an unacceptably short tail. The Kodiak bull does not. Angus already has problems with short tails that don't function.

Honestly that isn't something I have ever paid attention to. Never has been an overly large concern for me.

We don't have any direct offspring of the Kodiak bull. But we do have a few (6) daughters sired by a Kodiak son. They are young yet (raising their 3rd calf this summer), but so far we have been happy with them. They aren't the most beautiful or flashy looking animals, but they are good functional cows. Good feet, good bags and all of them have really calm temperaments. All calved easily as heifers with no assistance (bred to an 83lb bw, CE +4, BW +2.8 - so not your typical 'heifer' bull by the numbers). I haven't ran any of them across the scale to know for sure, but would guess they are in that 1200-1300 lb range. I would guess all of them will wean calves this year with weights of 650+ (some will be over 700). Plenty of milk, but they don't milk too hard (at least not for us - could be different in a different environment).

My internet is not working well right now and I can't get any pictures to load :mad: but I will try and come back later today and add some.

maybe this one finally posted. Not a great picture of the cow, but does show the size. The guy is 6ft tall, so they aren't big cows by any means. It was taken a few weeks ago.

I will also add that the few animals I have seen that came from Hamiltons have all been quality animals. Haven't ever bought anything from them to have direct experience, but would like to get down to their bull sale one year to watch.

Jake":3g6tlx7k said:
JWBrahman":3g6tlx7k said:

Honestly that isn't something I have ever paid attention to. Never has been an overly large concern for me.

Usually a good rule of thumb to avoid extremes in breeding stock. Good idea to avoid tiny anything on a bull: feet, testicles, tail, arse, heart girth, etc. You never know what the gene link is that caused the extreme, so best to just avoid it.

Jake,

I got a couple pictures of the bull calf today. Didn't get a good view from the back, but it'll give you an idea.

I like him as good as any low birth weight calves, seems to have really nice length.

I had two Soo Line Kodiak 9194 sons, and hated both. Super wild, calves never grew. I had a Soo Line Motive son (also from HF Kodiak) and he was considerably better. Not out of this world awesome, but better. The Kodiak sons were just a complete waste of 2-3 years.

I don't want to get to defending or promoting a bull too much untill I see how the offspring weans off and continues to produce.

But at the same time, mncowboy, I was looking at the dam of the soo line 9194 bull, and i question that she may be part of your problem with growth. Her sire had a yw epd of 60 with 95% accuracy. Her dam doesn't have any recorded epd's on the aaa website.

Latest posts