Highest ADG?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
What is the Highest Average Daily Gain you have seen? Whether it be at weaning, from weaning to yearling age, or during a growth spurt or whatever.

I would like to see how a bull of mine, who recently took a growth spurt (which I sure hope he isnt done with) compares. We weighed him on June 7, 2006 and he weighed 856 lbs ( a lot lighter than I would have liked) and on June 29, 2006 he weighed 965 lbs. In those 22 days he gained 109 lbs, that would put him at 4.95 lbs/day (if my math correct). The amount and availablility of feed, grass or hay has not changed.

Ryan

4H steer of mine (last year) gained 5.43lbs/day for about 21 days. Went from 944lbs on 4/15 to 1058lbs on 5/6. He gradually came down to a lower ADG but never went below 3lbs/day. Compensatory growth, I think I'd call it, given the ration he was on before I put him on good feed and grain.

GAR feed test highs are near 7.5lb/day

That 5 lbs per day gain is very good, you are doing things just right with a good animal. But it is not unusual for good modern cattle. Now days if steers arent going to slaughter at around 1300 lbs under 14 months of age something is wrong with the cattle.

mnmt

mnmtranching":b9bn01ys said:
That 5 lbs per day gain is very good, you are doing things just right with a good animal. But it is not unusual for good modern cattle. Now days if steers arent going to slaughter at around 1300 lbs under 14 months of age something is wrong with the cattle.

mnmt

I was thinking 5 lbs a day was good, especially for a Longhorn. I dont recall ever seeing 5 lbs/day at anytime on a longhorn. I knew it wouldnt be up there near the top across all breeds, but its nice to be able to compare a lil. I also realize this is over a short period of time, and that will average out in the long run. He always looked like he could have used about 100 more pounds on him. Now that he has that, I would say he still needs a good 50 more pounds on his current frame to be where I want him.

Ryan

mnmtranching,

Thats not quite true. Alot of the end weight has to do with the size of the parents. Most feedlot cattle gain from 3.5lbs a day on down. If you have an Angus cow that weighs 1100lbs to 1200lbs and you use another moderate sized Angus bull, the calves won't kill at 1300lbs unless you background for quite a while. Now if you use a Charlais bull on those same cows, that might be a different story.

Ryan":4ucz43nc said:
What is the Highest Average Daily Gain you have seen? Whether it be at weaning, from weaning to yearling age, or during a growth spurt or whatever.

I would like to see how a bull of mine, who recently took a growth spurt (which I sure hope he isnt done with) compares. We weighed him on June 7, 2006 and he weighed 856 lbs ( a lot lighter than I would have liked) and on June 29, 2006 he weighed 965 lbs. In those 22 days he gained 109 lbs, that would put him at 4.95 lbs/day (if my math correct). The amount and availablility of feed, grass or hay has not changed.

Ryan

On the 112 day test at our bull test station, it's not that unusual anymore to see a bull gain over 6 lbs per day. There's not one on every test, but more of them than five-ten years ago. I remember being shocked when I first saw that a bull had gained that well.

Frankie":3igj6bda said:
Ryan":3igj6bda said:

Ryan

On the 112 day test at our bull test station, it's not that unusual anymore to see a bull gain over 6 lbs per day. There's not one on every test, but more of them than five-ten years ago. I remember being shocked when I first saw that a bull had gained that well.

How old are bulls when they go into that test station for the 112 days?

BRG":2s8wqxk7 said:
mnmtranching,

Thats not quite true. Alot of the end weight has to do with the size of the parents. Most feedlot cattle gain from 3.5lbs a day on down. If you have an Angus cow that weighs 1100lbs to 1200lbs and you use another moderate sized Angus bull, the calves won't kill at 1300lbs unless you background for quite a while. Now if you use a Charlais bull on those same cows, that might be a different story.

I don't understand what their gain has to do with killing them at 1300 lbs? Are you talking age? Most of our Angus bulls weigh 12-1300 lbs by the time they're a year old. I'll put the Angus ability to gain in the feedlot up against the Char anytime.

Ryan":r2oigaos said:
Frankie":r2oigaos said:
Ryan":r2oigaos said:

Ryan

How old are bulls when they go into that test station for the 112 days?

They test in 60 day contemporary groups. Jan-Feb born calves go in October, so they're 8-9 months old. Mar-April go in December, etc.

Frankie,

You misunderstood me. What I meant is that a Char/Angus steer will ussually kill bigger than a straight Angus. He said that steers now days should kill at 1300lbs under 14 months of age. I agree except, if a moderate sized straight Angus cow only weighs 1100 to 1200lbs, her steer can't get that big, unless it is crossed with another breed like charlais. A typical straight breed fat steer will kill at his dams mature weight, unless it has been background fed for a while, but then it is most likely older than 14 months old.

Donor Cow of mine, last years bull calf had a yearling weight of 1,455lbs and was gaining 5.50lbs/day when he graduated top bull out of 41 yearling bulls. :cboy:

Where do I find moderate framed Angus cows that weigh 1100 to 1200 pounds?

Somebody tell me, please?

mtnman

Ryan":1nozk94k said:

Ryan

Ryan, you have some good looking Longhorns so those numbers could be accurate, but you also have to be aware of when you weigh them, ie before/after feeding etc. 5 gallons of water weighs 40 lbs, that can throw off measuring actual weight gain a lot when measuring over a short time period.

BRG":2ngnr23m said:
Frankie,

You misunderstood me. What I meant is that a Char/Angus steer will ussually kill bigger than a straight Angus. He said that steers now days should kill at 1300lbs under 14 months of age. I agree except, if a moderate sized straight Angus cow only weighs 1100 to 1200lbs, her steer can't get that big, unless it is crossed with another breed like charlais. A typical straight breed fat steer will kill at his dams mature weight, unless it has been background fed for a while, but then it is most likely older than 14 months old.

I am going to agree with mtnman :oops: BRG I know the country you live in and the country you live in now how many cows weigh 1200 to 1300 pounds? Oh I didn't read your post your talking about black angus. Yeah you might need a little salt and pepper mix to make them things grow. :D Well that probably sturred up a hornet's nest. Mtnman I would still like to know what bloodlines you have used and how you got along with them.

Have a good 4th of July

lazy ace

you are right about the areas we live in, but you go west and the cows are smaller and mostly black angus with maybe some hereford.

Ya, we wouldn't have that problem with the reds. :lol:

BRG... how now brown cow :D Which states have the most cows? Is it really the west? The hereford breeder I sleep with says that you need to get your facts straight. The cattle in the west are hereford with just a touch of angus :shock: I have seen some of those straight herefords in New Mexico and they weigh more than 1300.

You have much to learn grasshopper!!!!

Have a good one

lazy ace and Mrs ace

You go right on ahead. The fact of the matter is the inner mountain west and great basin is predominately stocked with hereford cows bred by angus bulls. I didn't know that many herefords existed until I met the hereford breeder and traveled to her country.

Have a good one (tell the mrs. hello)

Lazy ace

Latest posts