How do you get the string off?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
How do you get the string off when it is frozen to the bale? I'm wondering if there is some trick to it or keep on doing what I'm doing - cut it, work it and hope it will break free.

If anyone has come up with a brilliant solution I too would like to hear it.
Some things I have done that help a little is if there is any sun at all pull the bale out the day before and let the afternoon sun hit it on the most frozen part of the bale. Roll the bale a bit before cutting the strings, it will help knock off a bit of ice and loosen the strings up a bit. When I cut them I work at them but there are some that are still impossible to get off if frozen in by a huge patch of ice. I count how many strings there are, pull them as far to the side as possible and unroll the bale. Then I go back to get the strings. When you pull the strings the whole ice chunk will come and it is easier to get most of the ice chunk picked off if it is not on the bale. Sometimes I just pick up the whole chunk and throw it out with the strings.
It's the only thing I don't like about Chinooks. The strings get more frozen when we get the thaw to melt everything and then it drops to -30 in a day.
I keep threatening one of my calmer cows with horns that I am going to start tying the strings on to her and let her deal with it. :lol:

We have that problem most every year. The snow thaws, freezes and if we get a freezing rain before the bales are snow covered we have the problem until it thaws. [might be a few months]

You can set the bale on end and take as mush twine of as you can. I feed it with the twine on, then pick it up as one ball in the Spring. I think that a bunch of short pieces is worse than one big piece.

I just got back from feeding. 1 inch of ice on the bales. Out of frustration, I took a hammer and beat the snot of of the ice. After working up a good sweat, I was able to pull the string back of the bales and slide a small section of hay off with the string. Note to self - next year, cover the bales.

Dusty Britches":20c4wf4b said:
I just got back from feeding. 1 inch of ice on the bales. Out of frustration, I took a hammer and beat the snot of of the ice. After working up a good sweat, I was able to pull the string back of the bales and slide a small section of hay off with the string. Note to self - next year, cover the bales.

Bale with grass string and don't worry about it.

If you are feeding with a tractor, lift the bale up high and drop it. Usually breaks up most of the ice. If you are feeding with a truck, drop the bale on the ground and pull it for a ways, sometimes works. Then if I still can't get them I tie them all together and just roll the bale out. Much easier to pick them up later if they are all tied together.

I agree with Caustic. That is the reason I quit baling with plastic twine and won't use net. I did it one year and I would rather have a bit more waste than add a 1/2 hour a day to my chores.

I go down one side and cut each string with a big knife. Then go to the other side and use handle of knife or something bigger and beat a trench down the side of the bale. Reach in it and pull the strings out, usually break loose.

cfpinz

It won't do much for ice but I built a string cutter out of a cutter blade for a swather and an 1" dowel. Put a cut down the center of the dowel and drill a couple of holes to match the one in the blade and bolt the blade in place. When one side gets dull turn it over and start over.Z

If it's a light coating of ice I use a baseball bat and beat each string until they come loose. Unlike Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, and those so called athletes, I have a 1000 bat. avg, as I've never missed that bale, and I don't use steroids. I do watch for flying ice tho.

I stick the bale spike in about 2 inchs from the edge and lift. Generally breaks up enough to get them. But have had them froze enough to "peel" about 3 inchs off, kinda like peeling an orange?

roadapple, we can all picture that!!
I use a my Case trapper knife to cut the sting low on one side of the bale, then take a hammer and beat the ice off the bale, and then just pull the string off. Takes about 5 minutes.
I dont ever cover my bales, but do wished I had a large building or covering to put them in for the inclimate weather. But, hey, it is wintertime!

I wrap the bale. Instead of putting 5 layers of plastic like in sillage, I only put one layer. Cost around .40 cent. The net is very easy to take off and there is no waste. You do'nt wrap it air tight. I do the same with straw.

Marcel

We don't use twine any more - use net wrap - but I found using a hay hook was the best way to "get ahold" of the twine.
And, Caustic, if we used sisel twine, we would leave half the bale where we stored it, and the other half would be moldie. :shock:
When we have ice, I drop the front end loader on the top of the bales to "squish" the bales to break the ice. This is the method I use with the baleage also. My arms give out trying to beat them with a bat (which I carry in the tractor & have to use sometimes - and yes, shut your eyes - flying ice!!)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1l86mknm said:
We don't use twine any more - use net wrap - but I found using a hay hook was the best way to "get ahold" of the twine.
And, Caustic, if we used sisel twine, we would leave half the bale where we stored it, and the other half would be moldie. :shock:
When we have ice, I drop the front end loader on the top of the bales to "squish" the bales to break the ice. This is the method I use with the baleage also. My arms give out trying to beat them with a bat (which I carry in the tractor & have to use sometimes - and yes, shut your eyes - flying ice!!)

You have a baler problem not a twine problem if your baler is rolling them that loose. I have bales that are three years old that you can still move. The string has rotted off but they are still tight.

Latest posts