how to get water from pond to pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

cowperson

Reaction score
There is 30 acres of pasture that I would like to put cattle on this fall. The only problem no water close to the field. There is a pond that is probably 400 to 600 ft from the field. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the water to the field. In the past have pumped a 300 gallon holding tank full and hauled it to the field and put the water in water tanks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cowperson":1u8q3y3p said:
There is 30 acres of pasture that I would like to put cattle on this fall. The only problem no water close to the field. There is a pond that is probably 400 to 600 ft from the field. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the water to the field. In the past have pumped a 300 gallon holding tank full and hauled it to the field and put the water in water tanks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheapest and quickest way is to use a portable gas powered water pump and attach a length of 1.5" poly pipe to it. Can get long rolls of the black poly.

More permanent way is to install a submersible pump in the pond and connect to a buried water line. Could also use solar pump here.

i put in a solar pump 8 or 9 years ago and it does a good job for me.

pumping water from a pond to water livestock.

filtering pond water and trash tolerance of the pump are something to consider.

depending on the height you have to lift water to get to the highest point there are actually some pretty good little cheap pumps out there. You don't have to spend thousands but it depends on the volume and height.

get a good panel as it is the key. Have not touched my 75 watt panel since i put it up. don't even remember the manufacturer now.

Would a North Star water pump-1742 GPH, 19.8cc 1 inch do the job? Northern Tool has one on sale. The field has a little incline but nothing steep.

How is the elevation of the pond compared to the pasture?

I have watered cattle with a siphon fed tank for many years. You'll have to screen the inlet to keep crawdads out, but you can run a float on a siphon feed if you have any drop at all.

I also watered cattle from a pond with a very small pump. I measured my fuel so I knew how much water I could pump. I could check the water level in the tank, start the pump and leave. The pump would fill the tank then run out of gas. You have to be careful using a pump if the tank is higher than the pond, as it will siphon back without a check valve.

The black poly pipe can just be run along the ground. I have some that has been in use for 12 years. Can barely find it in the grass at the base of the fence.

The pond is lower than the pasture. I can put the poly pipe around the lowest part of the pasture. It will just take more poly pipe that way but that beats pumping into a holding tank and transporting the water. Thanks for all the replys.

If you need it to be more versatile, you can pump to a large tank on a high spot and gravity feed one or more tanks around the place.

Running the poly on the ground is WAY easier than trenching it in.

Latest posts