I never have seen it this dry.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
got 2/10ths earlier this spring. thats all ive seen. well blessed with wind and dust though.

I have never seen it this dry this early. Nows when it should be starting to get dry. If we don't get some rain next week with the chances the weather liars are giving, GOD only knows what its going to be like. THATS RIGHT

I was born, raised and lived here (in Grimes County) for forty nine years. I have never, in my life seen this type of dry this early. I have the cows on every field I own. I hope that I can make it through until we get some rain. This is a way of life and I refuse to give up so I either make it with what I have or go down in flames.

Gambling in Vegas is for Sissy's. Try cattle instead!

This kind of dry will put you out of business. I've gradually downsized my herd to half what it was 5 years ago due to droughts but they were nothing compared to this one. I'm rotated out.

Balin' Wire":1skpi8c7 said:
I was born, raised and lived here (in Grimes County) for forty nine years. I have never, in my life seen this type of dry this early. I have the cows on every field I own. I hope that I can make it through until we get some rain. This is a way of life and I refuse to give up so I either make it with what I have or go down in flames.

Gambling in Vegas is for Sissy's. Try cattle instead!

To continue to be a way of life...you darn well better be picking your battles wisely. Those flames aren't to far from burning your a$$ in good times.

Beefy":pakttxmp said:
got 2/10ths earlier this spring. thats all ive seen. .

So you were the one that got it. Dang greedy boogger you. :lol2:

One of my disaster management options the Homeland Security Advisor told me I could do is sell my interior pasture gates and buy hay with them. They did come in handy at one time when I practiced rotational grazing but they are now obsolete.

I don't know if this is drought related or not but one thing I have noticed lately is the cow birds are getting slaughtered by hawks. I don't know if the mice have moved to the woods or what but I've seen three cow birds get nailed in as many days. Its a spectacular sight to watch. Looks like a dove getting hit with a full load. White feathers flying everywhere.

even the pine trees are dying and its not due to beetles its due to drought. i have been feeding next winters haylage for 2 weeks now that we thankfully baled instead of harvesting for seed (last minute decision). and apparently there are not ANY dung beetles this year.

Mr. Jo, did you get hammered by that storm that nailed adel the other day? i got the wind. i can relate to the Dust Bowl now.

last year i kept finding big clumps of white feathers in the yard. and each time i just knew something had finally gotten my one white chicken. but it turns out they were cowbird feathers which is really weird b/c i have never seen one of those in the yard. apparently they were coming to the water i leave dripping for the chickens and somethign was ambushing them there. but you are right, massive amounts of white feathering.

So that is where you have been lately Beefy, busy doing a rain dance.

Northern Alberta and Northern Saskatchewan are bone dry ,we actually lost a whole town to a wild fire that could not be contained. :???:
Manitoba is under water as are parts of Ontario and Quebec. Why can't the weather just be moderate, instead of severe and so sporadic. I think we are in for more of Mother Natures Wrath.

Prayers that you all get some much needed rain soon and that the areas under water get a much needed break.

i am strongly considering selling my exterior gates and heading to the beach.

Beefy":16uattin said:
Mr. Jo, did you get hammered by that storm that nailed adel the other day? i got the wind. i can relate to the Dust Bowl now.

We got hit by two of them. One was about two months ago and it caused a bunch of damage on my place. Trees were all over the fences and I still have some roads that I've yet to clear. (I think I'll wait till it warms up some before I tackle these ;-) ) The most recent one came from the Adel direction but it was a more narrow and intense band. It missed me by about 3 miles. Where it did go through it caused some intense damage. It took my friends pivot and broke it into pieces and scattered it all over his field. About a mile to the northesast of that field it laid down a bunch of 30 year old pine trees. EMC guys said it was a shear wind or something like that. Looked more like tornado damage to me but I don't know.

Jogeephus":3tt0hc9e said:
Beefy":3tt0hc9e said:
got 2/10ths earlier this spring. thats all ive seen. .

So you were the one that got it. Dang greedy boogger you. :lol2:

One of my disaster management options the Homeland Security Advisor told me I could do is sell my interior pasture gates and buy hay with them. They did come in handy at one time when I practiced rotational grazing but they are now obsolete.

I don't know if this is drought related or not but one thing I have noticed lately is the cow birds are getting slaughtered by hawks. I don't know if the mice have moved to the woods or what but I've seen three cow birds get nailed in as many days. Its a spectacular sight to watch. Looks like a dove getting hit with a full load. White feathers flying everywhere.

Beefy":3tt0hc9e said:
i am strongly considering selling my exterior gates and heading to the beach.

I kept the gates and sold the cows....Keep the cows and sell the gates you have to spend the money on feed that you won't ever get back, also you won't have any for the beach or have time to go because your feeding cows all day everyday.... :lol:

We didn't have blackbirds last fall winter or spring...I've noticed the Kildee are gone too...

yeah i bet that was that storm a few months ago when i took that picture of the funnel cloud forming in the pasture. it never did touch the ground but got close. supposedly worth and colquitt are the #1 and #2 most tornadic counties in georgia and i'm right at the county line. pretty sure we are the driest too but have no data to back that up.

We have 5- F450 Brush trucks leaving this morning for Bunnell, FL and are offering a group of dozers to all the southern states at today's conference call. Looks like I will be either in Fl. or GA for the 4th of July. They said whatever equipment we send will probably stay until a hurricane comes through with the crews swapping out every two weeks.
Sorry vette, we sent a few people to TX but the Feds took over the command there and we can't seem to get the call. We have the equipment just setting and the people ready to go just need the request and Fl made the first one.

Cow birds are small,black with brown heads.
Cattle Egrets are tallish,and white - look like a small Heron.
Which ones are you talking about? Hope it's CowBirds,those are nasty..

peg4x4":122ofumn said:
Cow birds are small,black with brown heads.
Cattle Egrets are tallish,and white - look like a small Heron.
Which ones are you talking about? Hope it's CowBirds,those are nasty..
I'm glad you posted that. They're talking about egrets.

Latest posts