I'm out

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
Sold out, I let the packers win.
First time in 55 years I own no cattle.
100 head of mommas gone.
Rented the grass out to a nephew for my cost of owning it.
Retired, living in Florida, playing golf.
Have no idea what I'll do with acreage in Missouri, I put a trust deed on it so I can gamble on real-estate down here.
Kids can figure that out when I'm dead.
Life is so dang good, can't possibly get any better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hearing several in my area small and large that are quitting. I'm being told in a month slaughter cows will be lots higher. That will add more.

I'm seeing a few cows @$1.00 and bulls to $1.30. I have several cows that are 15-16 but in good condition and have calves. But if it gets higher I will cut way back. Don't have many left anyway.
I am down to a few. Neighbors and I have talked about keeping just enough for Ag and share a bull between three of us. I am sick of dealing with hay.

I have mostly free grazing through the summer but if cows get high enough the calf gain may not make up the difference in cow price going down this fall.

Sold ours, fall of 2019. Haven't really missed 'em a day.
Have a young neighbor kid (early 30s) who's just getting started... letting him cut hay off the place, and we've given him most of our cattle equipment. He helps us out a lot when we need a hand.
All I have to do is a little 'clean-up' bush-hogging along fencelines, etc.

Do you think this is this a cattle cycle thing, or due to input prices?
Likely….the $15 minimum wage….as I age I'm less content with the $1.50 I might end up with. The likely return on one's investment just isn't worth the effort. So I'd say both. What better time to throw in the towel.

Last fall I scaled back. Needed a bull for a small rent place. A nice one came through the auction guaranteed. I jumped on it. Test came back it was a dud. Took that as a sign that I should lighten the load. Was needing a few more cows here at home so I moved those home and let the place go.

Now if we start clearing $1,000 a head plus as we did in 2014 I May regret the decision, but until then…forgetaboutit.

I'm cutting back the old cows and just not replacing them for the time being. Hay prices have me worried. I usuallly bale up my oats but they are going to have to have arecord spring to get them to baling height. The drought is really starting to hit my cow body scores and my fall calves are going to wean off pretty small. Woe is me.

Latest posts