In like a Lion

Help Support CattleToday:

West central wi, 70's and 80's the last four days. started to rain yesterday and turned to snow overnight. Around 9 inches of snow on the ground and still falling as this is typed. Temp today around 40. Ground was getting nice and dried out before today.
God bless you for dealing with that. I am so glad to have come south and not having to worry with snow this time of year.

Last edited:
I would love to have 9" of wet heavy snow about now. It's trying to green up, but we really need an inch or two to make any grass happen.

I would love to have 9" of wet heavy snow about now. It's trying to green up, but we really need an inch or two to make any grass happen.
We've had some really decent snow/water, but the ground is DRY by now. It's like it was so dry that anything that wet it over this winter has dissipated into the soil and never made a difference. We could use some rain or snow too. Stuff is getting green but we still need moisture.

18 th of April , had a frost this am . Predicting another next week , Monday am . Glad I haven't set out maters yet !

This is how it is today on part of the west coast. Probably tank top and shorts weather for some of you.
image0 (14).jpg

You guys have not got much moisture this year. I was surprised when I was in Torrington middle of last month to pick up the bull I bought. There was no snow in sight, and we still had 12" on our fields here in Riverton. I'm glad it is gone, but my fields are still a bit wet; I did get some of it drug today, the rest is going to have to wait. We are supposed to have a storm come in this afternoon or so. It did try to spit on me a little while I was out. I could use a little bit of drying so I can get my fertilizer down.

The ground was all green when I walked out to go feed this morning. Now this old truck I feed off of is too high for this old guy to crawl up on the bed without a ladder. Using a bale hook I can flake hay from the ground. But even in low low it goes fast enough I would have to jog to keep up. So I flake off some hay, get in the cab, pull ahead, and repeat. About the time I started feeding it started snowing. I mean putting it down with some wind. I normally just leave the door open as the latch is a pain to open. After the first flake I noticed that shutting the door would be a good idea as the seat was covered with snow. Struggling with the door was better than sitting in the snow. April 18.... spring is here......
Fast forward to 5:00 this afternoon. I came home with a load of hay on the trailer. I started to unload. It started to snow once again. Every time I would turn to take a bale to the stack the snow was hitting me in the face. Of course about the time I was done it quit snowing just like it did when feeding this morning.

The ground was all green when I walked out to go feed this morning. Now this old truck I feed off of is too high for this old guy to crawl up on the bed without a ladder. Using a bale hook I can flake hay from the ground. But even in low low it goes fast enough I would have to jog to keep up. So I flake off some hay, get in the cab, pull ahead, and repeat. About the time I started feeding it started snowing. I mean putting it down with some wind. I normally just leave the door open as the latch is a pain to open. After the first flake I noticed that shutting the door would be a good idea as the seat was covered with snow. Struggling with the door was better than sitting in the snow. April 18.... spring is here......
Fast forward to 5:00 this afternoon. I came home with a load of hay on the trailer. I started to unload. It started to snow once again. Every time I would turn to take a bale to the stack the snow was hitting me in the face. Of course about the time I was done it quit snowing just like it did when feeding this morning.
I put 3x4 square bales on a utility trailer and flake them off in low range, D1. I roll the window down just in case I accidentally hit the lock button getting out or something dumb like that. I did slip on frost one morning and fell off the trailer and hit the ground upper body first and knocked the wind out of me. Luckily the truck lodged against a couple pocket gopher mounds and stopped or I don't know if I could have got it stopped before the fence.

You guys have not got much moisture this year. I was surprised when I was in Torrington middle of last month to pick up the bull I bought. There was no snow in sight, and we still had 12" on our fields here in Riverton. I'm glad it is gone, but my fields are still a bit wet; I did get some of it drug today, the rest is going to have to wait. We are supposed to have a storm come in this afternoon or so. It did try to spit on me a little while I was out. I could use a little bit of drying so I can get my fertilizer down.
I don't know how we could go from over a foot of snow on the ground from mid January to end of February to bone dry in April, but we did. There is a little bit of moisture in the ground, but after last year's D3 drought there isn't any residual grass. An inch of rain would get things going, but the weather pattern is all wrong. I hear Kansas and most of Oklahoma is way worse off than us. Keep feeding hay and praying for rain for everyone who needs it.

Latest posts