insecticide ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred

Reaction score
it seems to me that installing an insecticide tag on the outer/back portion of the ear would let the tag come in contact with the cow's body more than if it were installed on the front of the ear... why are the tags always shown on the front of the ear?

The instructions say to put on the back of the ear for eared cattle. I don't know why. I've put them both ways on non-eared cattle and they seem to work just as well either way. I usually don't even put one on every cow or calf and the flies take an extended leave all the same. I probably put them on 90%.

I put them on the back (Beefmasters) and I think it works a little better, my vet does the same with all he applies.

Huh? You just grab the tag with one hand and put the "cutter" against the back of the ear and slice, no need to try to slice on the button side. Unless I'm missing something here......

I thought of a reason maybe why fly tags should be put on the back of the ear on brahman influenced cattle- they could slap themselves in the eye with the tag if it's on the front.

We dont use insecticide tags, but we have a couple times in the past. Im wondering how many of you use 2 tags per cow? I was considering using them again this year but just about every tag ive looked at says 2 tags/cow for optimum control. I just dont like the idea of punching all those holes in my cows ears. What do y'all do?

Well I tagged my cows with 1 tag/cow and they already seem to be helping A LOT!! I used Python Magnum in one pasture and Warrior in another, and left one pasture untagged. I guess you could say im doing my own little research study. Lol. Gonna see which helps the most, if at all.

Latest posts