IRELAND

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
My wife and I have been tossing around an idea of going to Ireland on vacation in the March / April time frame. I have been to other parts of Europe a few times but never to Ireland. I wanted to get as much first hand info as possible. The package that we have looked at is a 6 day trip. Arrival and departure from Dublin. 2 nights stay will be in Dublin at a 5-star hotel and the other 4 days will be at our choice of over 400 B&B's throughout Ireland. The package includes a rental car as well as passes into castles, some tours etc.. I have my eye on a B&B in Killarney that is a working cattle farm because I think that I would enjoy conversations with the Inn Keeper more if we have something in common. I think this B&B is within a 30 minute drive of some castles.

I have looked at the weather averages and I was surprised to learn that on average the temperatures run very mild year around. Even in July and August the high temps are in the 60's with lows in the 50's (Farenheit). In March and April it is basically 50's for highs and 40's for lows. Rain is pretty steady at 2" per month year round.

Has anyone on the board vacationed in Ireland or better yet anybody on here a local resident in Ireland that could give me some pointers and advice?

Pointer 101: Never take a European vacation when the USD to Euro exchange rates are unfavorable like they are now.

HOSS":1pk6gi7c said:
My wife and I have been tossing around an idea of going to Ireland on vacation in the March / April time frame. I have been to other parts of Europe a few times but never to Ireland. I wanted to get as much first hand info as possible. The package that we have looked at is a 6 day trip. Arrival and departure from Dublin. 2 nights stay will be in Dublin at a 5-star hotel and the other 4 days will be at our choice of over 400 B&B's throughout Ireland. The package includes a rental car as well as passes into castles, some tours etc.. I have my eye on a B&B in Killarney that is a working cattle farm because I think that I would enjoy conversations with the Inn Keeper more if we have something in common. I think this B&B is within a 30 minute drive of some castles.

I have looked at the weather averages and I was surprised to learn that on average the temperatures run very mild year around. Even in July and August the high temps are in the 60's with lows in the 50's (Farenheit). In March and April it is basically 50's for highs and 40's for lows. Rain is pretty steady at 2" per month year round.

Has anyone on the board vacationed in Ireland or better yet anybody on here a local resident in Ireland that could give me some pointers and advice?

How are your "wrong side of the road' driving skills?

[Bez]

Sounds like a wonderful holiday. I also think you don't need to get an international drivers license to drive over there as I don't think they are recognized in Ireland.

hillsdown":27666gba said:
Sounds like a wonderful holiday. I also think you don't need to get an international drivers license to drive over there as I don't think they are recognized in Ireland.

Ordinary license is fine.

Wife and I go to the UK every now and then - and pop into the green country once in a while.

I suspect we will be in London this coming Easter

[Bez]

I'd love to go to Ireland,tho for longer than a week.. Enjoy

HerefordSire":3ua20kvw said:
Pointer 101: Never take a European vacation when the USD to Euro exchange rates are unfavorable like they are now.
Awh help, you won't ever get to go if you wait for that to happen.

Jogeephus":3pnnctf6 said:
Be sure to kiss the blarney stone and don't schedule too much so you can enjoy.

I would not touch that rock with your lips

Disgusting

[Bez]

Get tons of pics and share them. :D :D
That sounds like a great trip Hoss I hope you go and enjoy yourself.
I would love to go to Ireland, Germany and Australia. Now knowing Knersie I'd love to go to South Africa to meet him and look over his cattle. :D ;-)

I luv herfrds":f62lfpbl said:
Get tons of pics and share them. :D :D
That sounds like a great trip Hoss I hope you go and enjoy yourself.
I would love to go to Ireland, Germany and Australia. Now knowing Knersie I'd love to go to South Africa to meet him and look over his cattle. :D ;-)

I have been to over 20 countries world-wide. Never to Ireland or Australia. If we decide to go I will take lots of pics to share. Especially of any cows that I encounter.

1982vett":1p1c0pbe said:
HerefordSire":1p1c0pbe said:

That is the mentality of most Americans. Instead of being thrifty like farmers and ranchers, they might say..."I WANT IT NOW! AHH! GIVE ME IT NOW! AHH!"
:mrgreen:

HerefordSire":2ib7apz1 said:
1982vett":2ib7apz1 said:
HerefordSire":2ib7apz1 said:

That is the mentality of most Americans. Instead of being thrifty like farmers and ranchers, they might say..."I WANT IT NOW! AHH! GIVE ME IT NOW! AHH!"
:mrgreen:

Yep!

But who's to say the exchange rates will get better in ones lifetime? Especially when the manipulators don't want them to.

1982vett":2m0owkx5 said:
Yep!

But who's to say the exchange rates will get better in ones lifetime? Especially when the manipulators don't want them to.

It is very hard to move exchange rates. I have see the traders in action. They are very good at what they do. They will move the market (bids and asks) to take people out on margin. The positions can be highly leveraged and there is no global oversight and regulations. To move the market like I am referring to HOSS, is an entirely different story. I would say the odds are in his favor he can get a better deal if he is patient.

HerefordSire":2ac263bf said:
1982vett":2ac263bf said:
Yep!

It is very hard to move exchange rates. I have see the traders in action. They are very good at what they do. They will move the market (bids and asks) to take people out on margin. The positions can be highly leveraged and there is no global oversight and regulations. To move the market like I am referring to HOSS, is an entirely different story. I would say the odds are in his favor he can get a better deal if he is patient.

You can see this by pulling up a 20 year or so chart for the EURUSD.

Hoss it is one of the most beautiful Countries, but be sure to take a lot of cash as it is also one of the most expensive, Dublin is very expensive more so that London, it rains a lot more than they say, all year round, when watching the weather forecast it always seems to be raining in Ireland. The Euro at the moment is very strong, and Irelands recession is lifted. Unlike the UK's. Watch when driving as they are complete maniacs, can't say I saw a car without a dent somewhere, we were going down a Country lane which was supposed to be one way, and this truck came from no where going the wrong way he hit the side of the car and the driver leaned out of his window shouted out sorry and went on his way, when we reported it we were told Ah! that's natural. go figure. and be in for a shock as the Funeral parlours are also bars in the rural parts, they have some strange customs. I wouldn't go to Blarney if you don't like crowds and queues. and as for kissing it NO-WAY. but if asked would I go back then that would be a YES once I have saved up enough cash. just take an umbrella, but when it is dry it is gorgeous, one sight that is fantastic is the Giants Causeway, although that is in Northern Ireland County Antrim. where they still use the English Pound. If you do decide to go Have a great trip and I feel sure you will enjoy Ireland.