ISO cowboy or someone NE Tx

Help Support CattleToday:

Put all three of them together and it would start looking like my motley crew.
In the trailer pic, she doesn't have those crazy eyes. I wouldn't pen her to get her used to you.
Put her with a group of your gentle cows and work and pen them all together. Don't separate her from the group for a while.
Walk through the group and talk to them every day or two. A young heifer will feel safe around the old cows and if the old cows feel safe around you, she will feel the same.... usually.

Bfields30":1u5lusia said:
BRYANT":1u5lusia said:
Bfields30":1u5lusia said:
This is her when I first got her
I bet she will calm down and be following a feed sack in a few days look at her eyes and set of her head. I have messed with a bunch like her.
So do you think I should keep her ...
I did not say that, I said I would not be worried about keeping her myself But I got a set of working pens that she aint busting out of nor is she going to jump them and I have been raised around Brahman and Brahman cross cattle. Stock that is some what on the wild side does not bother me much I would put her in my lot with and old calm cow and feed her a few days and she will more than likely calm down. Brahman cattle are not for everyone but if you know how to handle them and have the set up to handle them with they will calm down and be some of the most gentlest cattle you can own. they are kind of like a mule they have to build up a trust in you.

BRYANT":1y1gv951 said:
Bfields30":1y1gv951 said:
I bet she will calm down and be following a feed sack in a few days look at her eyes and set of her head. I have messed with a bunch like her.

I am with Bryant on this one.
That is the kind I like money makers with almost any bull. She is young and that little girl is scared. When she got to the house I would have nipped those horn buds first thing. She would have stayed in the pen with a calm girl to buddy with about a week. After that a white five gallon bucket and holler come on girls she would come running .

This is where they go to get acquainted.

Caustic Burno":2f3sdp3t said:
BRYANT":2f3sdp3t said:
Bfields30":2f3sdp3t said:
I am with Bryant on this one.
That is the kind I like money makers with almost any bull. She is young and that little girl is scared. When she got to the house I would have nipped those horn buds first thing. She would have stayed in the pen with a calm girl to buddy with about a week. After that a white five gallon bucket and holler come on girls she would come running .

This is where they go to get acquainted.
Cb I have 10 cows as of now and there gentle as can be i can whistle and they will run up to me no matter where they are the guy brought her from sold her 750 but was trying to sell her for 1000 but said she wasn't calm enough yet she's my first Brahman influence tho maybe I built off more then i can chew but the guy pasture she in she's like a little baby everyday i drive by with the floppiest ears. I'm debating still cause i know she's gonna be a money maker.

bird dog":1ykobbuq said:
Put all three of them together and it would start looking like my motley crew.
In the trailer pic, she doesn't have those crazy eyes. I wouldn't pen her to get her used to you.
Put her with a group of your gentle cows and work and pen them all together. Don't separate her from the group for a while.
Walk through the group and talk to them every day or two. A young heifer will feel safe around the old cows and if the old cows feel safe around you, she will feel the same.... usually.
that's what i do with the cows i have now my 1 yr old daughter is out there with me everyday with the 10 I have now.

We all have to get our feet wet at sometime. IMO you have lost that little girl she has homesteaded across the fence.
She will make your neighbor a fine cow my suggestion is sell her. Chalk this up to experience that builds wisdom.
Next one you purchase needs to go in a good set of pens with a friend and feed about a week to ten days. After that your off to the races.

Caustic Burno":58nimjaw said:
We all have to get our feet wet at sometime. IMO you have lost that little girl she has homesteaded across the fence.
She will make your neighbor a fine cow my suggestion is sell her. Chalk this up to experience that builds wisdom.
Next one you purchase needs to go in a good set of pens with a friend and feed about a week to ten days. After that your off to the races.
yeah I totally agree will do.

Bfields30":2h7zg594 said:
Update they caught her so they should bringing her to my place sometime this evening

You better pen her for a couple weeks IMO. If not she is going home over the fence. She might not stay anyway they are like elephants and don't forget.

Caustic Burno":24lhvd6o said:
Bfields30":24lhvd6o said:
Update they caught her so they should bringing her to my place sometime this evening

You better pen her for a couple weeks IMO. If not she is going home over the fence. She might not stay anyway they are like elephants and don't forget.
Elephants mentally,deers physically..

Caustic Burno":39r39myx said:
Bfields30":39r39myx said:

so I penned when she got here and umm about that I had the panels surrounded in my barn and she jumped out of those plus through more panels outside of those . But she's with my cows and is calm so I'm nervous but I just checked them and she's with them still just grazing so hopefully she doesn't jump out the pasture cause she def can wen she feels like it. I gotta get me some corral pens built asap

ALACOWMAN":1jq7ybz1 said:
Caustic Burno":1jq7ybz1 said:
Bfields30":1jq7ybz1 said:

Elephants mentally,deers physically..
She just scared as I seen this evening she's on alert when I'm around so what advice could you give me I fed them this evening with cubes and she just watched me everywhere I went but it was like she was aggressive she was with the cows just didn't take her eyes off me

Bfields30":1z0p7oao said:
Caustic Burno":1z0p7oao said:
Bfields30":1z0p7oao said:

so I penned when she got here and umm about that I had the panels surrounded in my barn and she jumped out of those plus through more panels outside of those . But she's with my cows and is calm so I'm nervous but I just checked them and she's with them still just grazing so hopefully she doesn't jump out the pasture cause she def can wen she feels like it. I gotta get me some corral pens built asap

There are no shortcuts in this game, it's pay me now or later.

Just keep feeding your cows, and don't look at her full in the face. Let her think you aren't especially interested in her so she doesn't feel like you are focusing directly on her. It is gonna take awhile for her to trust you enough that she doesn't feel like a bug under a microscope. Act like she is no big deal to you and ignore any skittish behavior but keep an eye on her from the corner of your eye so you don't get caught offguard. Give her some time. We always put a skittish one in with our calmest/tamest ones... and when ours are pushing to get to the bucket first, the skittish one learns that we are there to feed them, not "get 'em". Some learn, some don't . TIME.....

farmerjan":2te6h2aq said:
Just keep feeding your cows, and don't look at her full in the face. Let her think you aren't especially interested in her so she doesn't feel like you are focusing directly on her. It is gonna take awhile for her to trust you enough that she doesn't feel like a bug under a microscope. Act like she is no big deal to you and ignore any skittish behavior but keep an eye on her from the corner of your eye so you don't get caught offguard. Give her some time. We always put a skittish one in with our calmest/tamest ones... and when ours are pushing to get to the bucket first, the skittish one learns that we are there to feed them, not "get 'em". Some learn, some don't . TIME.....
funny you say that cause I did that this evening but i was putting feed out and she literally jumped on the other cows to get away from me lol once I started pouring the feed but shefollows the feed bucket with the others as well. My others ones are calm as can be.

Latest posts