Meat saw

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Those of you that are doing your own butchering... What kind of meat saw are you using? We just steaked that little dexter up and made the roasts using a stand alone food grade band saw but the blade had a lot of wander to it. it wanted to follow the bone at certain spots. Nothing too bad but could have been better. We borrowed this one from a friend but I'd like to know what to look for when I get to looking.

We have a Hobart and it has not been used in years (no its not for sale) for 1 or 2 butchering's a year your better off to buy a good hand meat saw. It requires a little finesse but will get the job done and by the time you factor in setup cleaning, disinfecting takedown and every thing on a band saw you can have what needs to be sawed done. :2cents:

Hook":34eoyitu said:
2 pigs, one steer, and handful of deer.
What would you recommend then? Sell me the hobart.

its an antique and we would not be friends after I gave you a price.

22-butcher-hand-meat-saw.jpg

a good hand saw will make quick work on most anything you need to do. it only takes about 4 strokes to cut thru a deer leg. with a hand saw you don't contaminate as much of the meat as a band saw does. especially on deer the bone residue will give it a stronger wild flavor. Hogs and cows not so much. You should be boning the majority out any way. you don't eat the bones.

350.00 to process a cow
150 for a pig.
Doesn't take long to pay for a good saw. My shoulder and elbows are close to shot as it is, so I'm not real keen on hand saw. I also like the repeatability of a nice clean even cut steak.

Not disagreeing with you. but a good used saw is going to run around 1500 to 2k. its gonna take a long time to pay for it doing 1 cow 2 pigs and a handful of deer. there are other expenses your not factoring in. now if your gonna do a lot more it could be a good investment. Im only speaking from experience. I love running a saw and it does make quick work of some things but unless your selling for presentation a perfect cut does not effect the flavor. On beef I do like to get t-bones but most everything else is boned out.

Hook":3lwdd4jo said:
Before sky says it...I'm not trying to be an askhole. Just wanting the best for the situation.

so your thinking Im gonna respond to you in a manner similar to sky.

When I get thru with you, you will be demoted to powder monkey. :lol:

We just did rib eyes, standing rib, t bones, sir loins, and round steaks. Maybe the little 800 dollar saw is a good compromise. Just gotta get that blade wander tightened up somehow. Could just be an issue of adjustment.

"Hook wrote:
Before sky says it...I'm not trying to be an askhole. Just wanting the best for the situation.

so your thinking Im gonna respond to you in a manner similar to sky.

When I get thru with you, you will be demoted to powder monkey. :lol:"

You know better than that :cowboy:

Ive used a table top model before and yes it has some blade wander. You can correct that with your speed a pressure. as long as the blade is running true let the saw do the work. I cant tell you how often I help people skin a deer and hand them the hand saw to use and they can not operate it. It takes finesse and light pressure the saw is weighted for the right amount pressure to cut you just have to get the feel for it.

Maybe we can talk him into a package deal Hook. You can get saw and I can get the butcher table. He has one just like Jogeephus's. :dunce: You know that old saying about wishing?

highgrit":3l0xeb3m said:
Maybe we can talk him into a package deal Hook. You can get saw and I can get the butcher table. He has one just like Jogeephus's. :dunce: You know that old saying about wishing?
I'll put y'all in the will.

M5farm":1fr1akx9 said:
highgrit":1fr1akx9 said:
I'll put y'all in the will.
Being that you're old and all I'll hold you to that :mrgreen:

M5farm":1y34ve91 said:
a good hand saw will make quick work on most anything you need to do.
M5farm":1y34ve91 said:

I have one of those and that is what I mostly use. Lots easier to clean up than a band saw. I think I paid about $20 for it.

If you are cutting a lot of chops and steaks then you can't beat a band saw. Many run on 3-phase power though.

Hook if you can find a decent older saw they are not bad to swap motors for single phase. The thing that gets expensive to change over is the 3 phase grinders.

Hook every thing that I have including the cooler, have come from small grocery stores that went out of business. If you are patient and keep your eye out you will find what you need.