mineral wells stockyards....

Help Support CattleToday:

eric

Reaction score
Well, forget the link, somehow I screwed that up!!

But what it said, was that the owner was fined by the ISYPA (International Stockyards and Packers Association, for not having enough money in an escrow account to pay his consigners and his sellers. This was the 4th time since 2003 this has happened, so I am thinking they might have closed him down. He had a salebarn in Weatherford and Mineral Wells.

This livestock auction use to run 1,400 cattle per week when it was owned and operated by Sonny Roberts. Since Weldon Glidewell purchased the market from Mr. Roberts, business has deteriorated at a steady rate. Mineral Wells Stockyards currently runs about 100-200 cattle per week every Saturday. Most people don't trust Mr. Glidwell due to his shortages to pay consignors.

Eric,

There is a relatively new sale barn (Tri-County Commission Co Livestock Sale) south of Mineral Wells on 281. It is right at the junction of 281 and I-20. It looks like a nice facility that could handle quite a few cows.

SALE EVERY SATURDAY 11:00 AM . Sheep & Goats 12:30 PM . Cattle
Bob & Susan McBride - Owners

I have never been to a sale there, but have passed by it several times on the way to visit relatives around the Graham area.

GOLD":drzexn40 said:
This livestock auction use to run 1,400 cattle per week when it was owned and operated by Sonny Roberts. Since Weldon Glidewell purchased the market from Mr. Roberts, business has deteriorated at a steady rate. Mineral Wells Stockyards currently runs about 100-200 cattle per week every Saturday. Most people don't trust Mr. Glidwell due to his shortages to pay consignors.

This is the link to Mineral Wells & Weatherford Stockyards

http://151.121.3.117/newsroom/release/2003/3603.htm

Thnx TX...the next rainy Saturday I'll probably drag the wife down there and check it out! 281 and I 20 isnt too far south of Ft. Worth. I'm not too far from the Motor speedway, right by 35W.

You would be better off taking your cattle to Decatur.Their sale is on Monday, and closer to you.I would haul them Sunday evening.They will put them on Hay and water.

Tri County & Mineral Wells will both run about the same amount of cattle on thier Sat.sales 100- 300 hd.Two sale barns 20 miles apart.Not enough buyers at either one.

Decatur will Avg. 1000-1200 hd a sale.Remember numbers is what bring buyers,more buyers,mean a few more dollar's in your pocket.

Never been to Mineral Wells, but the Weatherford sale has few fresh cattle, mostly trader cattle. Decauter has a good sale on Monday's. If you must sell on Saturday, you might want to look at Johnson County at Cleburne or Van Zandt Livestock close to Wills Point.

I went to a special Simmental sale a couple months ago at Decauter. Man, that has to be the nicest, cleanest salebarn I've ever been in! I've kind of made it a hobby to try and visit most of the salebarns in my area, mostly just out of curiosity, but also to meet some new folks and learn a little more about cattle / cattle buying and selling. And your right about the larger quanity barns bringing better prices, thus the reasoning behind the 60 mile drive to Van Zandt Salebarn, in Wills Point. Seems they consistently run 1200-1500 hd every Saturday.

I also visit Pilot Point quite often. They are a smaller barn, numbers wise, but the guy there, Robert, runs a real friendly operation and he works very hard to make sure things go smoothly on both ends of the deal. They usually run 300-500 hd each Saturday morning. Hopefully it will start filling up pretty soon, as they have the capacity to run several hundred more hd than they normally have each week.

Another good Saturday sale is Bowie Livestock Commission Co. Located in Bowie, TX. This barn is under new ownership and the folks are very friendly.

GOLD":3uhqdz50 said:
GOLD":3uhqdz50 said:

This is the link to Mineral Wells & Weatherford Stockyards

http://151.121.3.117/newsroom/release/2003/3603.htm

More about Mineral Wells Stockyards & Weatheford Stockyards owned by Weldon Glidewell

http://151.121.3.117/newsroom/e-foia/ac ... -03-14.pdf

CattleMistress":3fathdk1 said:
Who owns Bowie now?

According to the Weekly Livestock Reporter, it's owned by Don Jackson and John Jackson. I've never been there and have no idea how long they've owned it. Not sure if they have always owned it or just purchased it.

eric":ttzbikhr said:
.....it's owned by Don Jackson and John Jackson. I've never been there and have no idea how long they've owned it. Not sure if they have always owned it or just purchased it.

Correct. I think they have owned it for a year or two. Don lives around Boyd, as far as I know. My brother, who knows them pretty well, introduced me one time to Don and his wife.

I have never been to the Bowie sale myself, but according to my father-in-law and brother, it is a good salebarn.

eric":2y1hnjia said:
CattleMistress":2y1hnjia said:
Who owns Bowie now?

According to the Weekly Livestock Reporter, it's owned by Don Jackson and John Jackson. I've never been there and have no idea how long they've owned it. Not sure if they have always owned it or just purchased it.

They bought Bowie around 2.5 years ago.

Don't use the Mineral wells stock yard. My uncle dropped off 2 big bulls and a small heifer and received a check for 3 heifer calves weighing in the 350 range. He called to complain and they asked if he was at the sale when they sold, why didn't he say something sooner. He said that he had just dropped them and left - had the check mailed. They said there was nothing they could do, their records showed 3 heifer calves. He probably lost a few hunderd dollars on that one, but he had no way to prove anything else. The sale ticket they gave him only stated the back-tag numbers no description.

sidney they was covering their butts by not putting a description on the tagg in sheet i cant beleive he let them get by with that id raised it with them over that an made emm file on their ins scott

Latest posts