minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

jerry27150

Reaction score
from dr k c olson, professor in animal science & industry at kansas state university scientists have much to learn about regulation of intake, and availability from feedstuffs. taste, not metabolic demand, controls the amount of minerals eaten, cattle will select good tasting poor quality diets over less tasty nutritious ones. mineral defiency is not a common cause of reproductive failure. requirements for 13 minerals have been established na, ca, p, k, mg, s, co, cu, fe,i, mn, se, & zn. cattle can conserve minerals in the tissues of the body. short interuptions in intake do not cause deficiency .the degree to which minerals are conserved varies as well as the length of time it takes to develop a deficiency once intake ceases

jerry27150":1tvcen4n said:
from dr k c olson, professor in animal science & industry at kansas state university scientists have much to learn about regulation of intake, and availability from feedstuffs. taste, not metabolic demand, controls the amount of minerals eaten, cattle will select good tasting poor quality diets over less tasty nutritious ones. mineral defiency is not a common cause of reproductive failure. requirements for 13 minerals have been established na, ca, p, k, mg, s, co, cu, fe,i, mn, se, & zn. cattle can conserve minerals in the tissues of the body. short interuptions in intake do not cause deficiency .the degree to which minerals are conserved varies as well as the length of time it takes to develop a deficiency once intake ceases
I have a problem with that statement. I would argue it is not correct but it is at least far to generalized. As for the good tasting diets, isn't that common sense? It's also the reason America has an obesity problem. We go for the good tasting stuff with little concern for the nutrition value the food contains.

jerry27150":ufoasvge said:

Apparently Dr. Olson's mom never made him eat his vegetables. They didn't taste as good but mom knew they were loaded with vitamins and minerals that the body needed. Each contained some but none contained all the various minerals in useful quantities.Taste will always rule over quality given the option. Everybody does "taste tests". Few follow up to see what the end result was. The minerals you list are indeed "needed". Sometimes it's up to US to serve them up as "dessert" if the cow is not getting them from her regular bland buffet. IF she has a deficiency in one or more of the essential minerals we help her correct it...if she doesn't need all she consumes she simply adds the surplus mineral to the soil. All in all a pretty cheap insurance policy.

Latest posts