Morality vs $$$

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi":szzjsxj4 said:
cfpinz- Any news on this cow? Hope all went well.

Michele

She's still holding out on us. Let you know the death toll.

cfpinz

All's well that ends well:

Img_0925.jpg

She had it this morning on her own, everything went back where it should have been.

cfpinz

cfpinz":kgdzhoo7 said:
All's well that ends well:
She had it this morning on her own, everything went back where it should have been.
cfpinz

:clap: :clap: :clap:
that is one pretty baby!

CF, you may not want this worry, but if that vaginal prolapse hasn't gotten worse from year to year, that girl will have a long and healthy life. Some critters seem to vaginal prolapse a bit after their first calf or two, then it never gets worse. Others get a little worse each year. I've got a couple 12 yr old cows out there with smaller vaginal prolapses that produce healthy offspring every year without fail.

Just don't keep any replacements from them. It is definitely a genetic issue.

Rod

Rod - This year was her first and last vaginal prolapse. If a cow has to spend time in the sick pen at calving time (or any other time for that matter) she had better have a darn good excuse in order to stay. A prolapse does not qualify in my book, another accident waiting to happen. I've got her yearling baldy heifer on another farm with some replacements, considered jerking her but think I'll leave her be just for my couriosity, can always sell her later.

cfpinz

cfpinz- I am glad it went well! Think about freezer filling... plenty of burger and probably some great loin cuts. I bet you'd be able to sell plenty. And come out way ahead of slaughter price. Just my thoughts.

Michele

Morality vs $$$$.Been there and done that.My experience.I took a long shot risk on buying 2 old registered indu-brazilian cattle from a ranch.One had been there show cow,the other had banana leaf ears.The show cow died of old age I think.The other had a prolaps pretty big.Lost this cow this past winter out in the woods.My wife tried to save the calf but after a week lost it too.I had keep these 2 cows almost 3 years,trying to get just 1 calf out of them,gave them every chance in the world.Yeah I should have sold them in the ring after a year.But something told me no.Sending an old show cow to her death in the ring or letting her die of old age out in the country.The other cow at least gave me a calf but lost her life.I hope I did the right thing.$$$$ vs my love for Brahma cows.What about the breeder/rancher that sold them to me.Oh well lessons learned.

Shocking that everything ended well... The only reason she was in the sick pen was you put her there. If you want to sell her, well sell her, but all you newbies out there need to be aware that a vaginal prolapse does not constitute an emergency. :)

KMacGinley":17ev5v7u said:
Shocking that everything ended well... The only reason she was in the sick pen was you put her there. If you want to sell her, well sell her, but all you newbies out there need to be aware that a vaginal prolapse does not constitute an emergency. :)

This ain't my first rodeo. Some things belong inside the cow, not dangling from their rear.

cfpinz

Latest posts