More Calf Blood for Fake Meat ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Here, the large heavy bred cows and heifers get about $300 premium for the unborn calf. Are you seeing this ? Is it pricing some of the "buy all replacements operations" out of the market?

I don't know why this part of "no kill" meat isn't pointed out more. Fetal calf serum is needed to produce this cultured meat. Where do people think this comes from? I don't see places where calf fetuses can line up and donate plasma. Instead of slaughtering one animal they are selectively slaughtering two. Baby killers!

Packer buyers were paying 75 to 78 cents this June for fleshy fall calvers.
Since then they have started going after the smaller springers too.

I usually buy some "June calvers" in the spring. May have to make another adjustment.

there is a difference between the cultured meat and the fake (beyond and impossible brands) meat.

both being weird, lab/"factory" processed food-like substances you would think some of these health nuts would be wary of, but food fads never are logical in the first place.

As of Wednesday's sale here they were darn near giving away bred cows and bred heifers. I would say 90% of them went for butcher prices. $0.60-$0.70 a pound. So I guess this isn't being seen here yet? Interesting though. Definitely will be paying attention to bred cow/heifer costs over the next bit.

Latest posts