MS, TN, AL red cattle results

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
Anyone in the north MS area have any experience with red angus cattle going through sales? I have always sold black, but have recently tried to grow a more maternal/efficient herd and have begun making the switch to red angus. While i build my heard, ill be having to sell a few red steers until i can get my numbers to where i want them. In my area herefords get killed in the sale ring. Any idea how redA's do around our parts?

OleScout said:
Red will cost you $0.10- 0.15 in NW MS.

Blows my mind. Same cow just red hide gets you docked. I was hoping the herefords were the only ones that got docked around here.

Hardin Farms said:
OleScout said:

Blows my mind. Same cow just red hide gets you docked. I was hoping the herefords were the only ones that got docked around here.

Your thinking is still correct. Build a nice herd of RA momma's and run a homo black bull over them so you'll get black haired calves. Take a few hit along the way, it'll be worth it in the end.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hardin Farms said:
OleScout said:

Your thinking is still correct. Build a nice herd of RA momma's and run a homo black bull over them so you'll get black haired calves. Take a few hit along the way, it'll be worth it in the end.
If you run a homo black bull on them why would you take a hit.
Oh but wait. Every breed advertises homo black except one. Guess which one? The one that was supposed to be black to begin with. But yes I agree a herd of red momma's and a homo black bull is a great idea.

kenny thomas said:
Oh but wait. Every breed advertises homo black except one. Guess which one? The one that was supposed to be black to begin with.

I honestly don't know which breed you are referring to.

Angus cattle have always been black and red. And yes, I have seen many ads for homo black Angus. But up here it's the Canadian Angus Association. Not the Canadian Black Angus Association. Same association registers both colours. The breed has always had both colour variations.

Silver said:
Angus cattle have always been black and red. And yes, I have seen many ads for homo black Angus. But up here it's the Canadian Angus Association. Not the Canadian Black Angus Association. Same association registers both colours. The breed has always had both colour variations.

Yes but here it's the American Angus Association and reds need not apply.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Silver said:

Yes, you folks do live in a sheltered little world of your own lol

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Silver said:

But can't a bull registered with the American Angus Association have a red calf when bred to a red cow or a cow carrying a red gene. I will answer that, yes. So he would not be homo black.

kenny thomas said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Silver said:

But can't a bull registered with the American Angus Association have a red calf when bred to a red cow or a cow carrying a red gene. I will answer that, yes. So he would not be homo black.

I've not seen a red calf out of a purebred black Angus bull.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
kenny thomas said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Since i know you have several red cows that shows at least the bulls you own do not carry the red genes.

kenny thomas said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
kenny thomas said:

Since i know you have several red cows that shows at least the bulls you own do not carry the red genes.

Well except for the RA and the Limmy.

Latest posts