My Black Angus Papers and pics

Help Support CattleToday:

J&T Farm

Reaction score
BlackBullBetterCopy2.jpg

Wanted to see what ya'll think about these papers.

There old. no really. Some good bulls lines in there. Room for growth. Is this a bull for comercial cattle?

I see you have Wild Turkey on the paper. Does your bull show some of his traits for size?

He is for comm. cattle. We just weaned off his second crop of calves. Im not real smart on the angus bloodline. Ive only seen pics of one bull on there,qas traveler. Ill get a pic on here today. Hes not got a butt to suit me excatly but I sure like his calves.

I dont think there is much to worry about as far as growth. Anytime Kruggerand bloodlines are present there will be growth.
That's just from my experience though.

Hart's Wild Turkey, what a famous bull. That's some pretty old breeding if he still shows up in the viewable pedigree.

That's definitely Wild Turkey stamping. Every one we ever had, had that long-legged, pencil-gutted look. They're long-bodied, but other than that, there's not enough volume and mass there.

Pure country, I agree with your assessment. I am an Angus lover, but all the paper in the world doesn't put money in the bank. The heifers have too much leg, no depth. The bull is long, but needs more thickness front to back. To each his own. Boone

Pencil-Gutted and Funnel-Butted. The thing(s) that the "papers" will tell you is what you can expect the progeny will look like, and how you can expect the progeny will perform, but there are no Guarantees - only potentials. But it is better than "guessing" and they do indicate that you should acquire a better bull to produce better feeder calves - to eliminate pencil guts and funnel butts.

DOC HARRIS

Im having a time trying to find a breeder around here that has bulls to suit me. I had hoped that this one would grow out to be a good bull but hes coming 4 and it never happened.

J&T Farm":2lhzl6st said:
Im having a time trying to find a breeder around here that has bulls to suit me. I had hoped that this one would grow out to be a good bull but hes coming 4 and it never happened.

The problem is the "around here" part. How far have you travaled to find a bull. I know that there are a couple of angus sales at either Joplin or Springfield, don;t recall which, that have animals from a lot of different herds. May have something in your neck of the woods also. You don;t necesarrily have to buy a bull there, but it will give you an opportunity to see the genetics from a number of herds and maybe give you some contacts to buy bulls from.

dun

J&T:

It has been my experience that it is a very rare bull that "grows out".

If they aren't exceptionally good when they are young, they just don't turn out to be good when they are older.

Badlands

I always try and get a look at the bulls I'm interested in when they are still fairly young. If they look good as calves, chances are their calves will look good as well. I had an old timer say to me one time "Would you rather have a good looking bull or good looking calves?". As a cow/calf guy those are words to live by in my book.

dun":1er8bvxa said:
J&T Farm":1er8bvxa said:

The problem is the "around here" part. How far have you travaled to find a bull. I know that there are a couple of angus sales at either Joplin or Springfield, don;t recall which, that have animals from a lot of different herds. May have something in your neck of the woods also. You don;t necesarrily have to buy a bull there, but it will give you an opportunity to see the genetics from a number of herds and maybe give you some contacts to buy bulls from.

dun

I know a good one is over by Carthage Mo. Forget the name of it a group of Angus breeders have a sale in April. I bought a 3 in one deal a couple years ago there. At that time they did not have their bulls at same sale but I believe now they do the bulls and Females all in one sale.

I will dig through my old catalogs and find the name of it.

and then I am sure Joplin Stock Yards have some big Bull sales where different farms bring bulls to it.

Latest posts