Natrual gas drilling ?s

Help Support CattleToday:

J&T Farm

Reaction score
We are located in the heart of this new Fayetteville Shale Play that is becoming a gold rush for oil and gas companies. Its just a baby right now but their expecting it to become as big as the Barnnet play in Texas. Does anyone on here have any experience with all this drilling, leasing and pipeline running or a heads up. Thanks Josh

Here's a good site for info & discussion:

http://bbs.naro-us.org/index.php?sid=d8 ... 5e20f99bce

Remember-those landmen work for the gas company or themselves and know all the tricks. DO NOT take their word for anything. Only what your written lease says counts. The problem with their so-called "standard" lease is not what it says but what it doesn't say. Hiring a good oil and gas attorney will be money well spent.

Do your homework & be patient. Those who lease early usually get the worst deal, while those who wait (usually a year or 2) get better deals.

There is a saying among landmen that says "Only the needy & greedy sign early". Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you That is a good sight and yeah we were stupid and leased early and didnt even need the money that bad at the time. :mad:

I've got a well recently near Marshall in the cotton patch. Got six wells being drilled in the Barnett Shale here. Best thing I can tell you is to hold out for all the nickels you can get. Right now land is leasing for $1500 an acre, 25% royalty, and $50,000 for a 5 acre drill pad. Check the Hood County News for Saturday two weeks ago to see the article. Just three years back $325 an acre and 20% royalty was a deal you could feel good about.

They are paying $10 a foot for gas line through your place. You can only hope they take the longest diagonal route across your pasture.

I only wish I had bought more land 30 years ago. I passed on 50 acres at $1,000 an acre 20 years ago. It just leased for $1375 an acre and 25% royalty.

If you can buy land cheap with minerals, buy it.

The jig is up on buying cheap land and what land is selling does not include minerals. Everyone has the gas bug.
Up here, their paying $700 bonus and around 20%. Unfortunetly, we didn't get near that.

J&T Farm":3n8s2a0b said:
The jig is up on buying cheap land and what land is selling does not include minerals. Everyone has the gas bug.
Up here, their paying $700 bonus and around 20%. Unfortunetly, we didn't get near that.

That "bonus" money is chum money. Lots of folks fall for it. A man who bought land for $800 an acre feels he can get his money back if he leases for that. He'll sign a 1/8 royalty.

These oilfield leasing agents are not much more than used car salesmen. Some are good folks but most I have met at trying to get the royalty as low as they can.

Recently I had a guy tell me he wouldn't sign me for a 25% royalty. I said "fine, no need for us to talk anymore." Then he said they would cancel the well. I said "fine." Then he calls all of my Aunts and Uncles and tells them the well is cancelled. EVeryone starts calling me whining about how greedy I was. I told them the going rate was 25% royalty and faxed the guy 6 leases in the proximity. He was shocked. I then told him he had no business telling the family MY business. I think he began fearing a lawsuit. The next thing I know I got his counterpart on the phone and I was continually hanging up on him telling him to pound sand, pretending I was madder than an old wet hen. I then agreed to a six month lease at 25% royalty. We got the well within a month.

Right now they are trying to lease the land my house sits on. Same thing. Got neighbors thinking they got rich and they all signed on for too little.

There is a 25% royalty payout difference in a 20% lease and a 25% lease in that you get $200 for every thousand or $250 for every thousand revenue, etc. When you are looking at making $18,000 a month, that is a lot of nickels. That little ole up front chum money they bait all the poor folks with doesn't amount to much at all.

I am not signing anything for less than 25%. I can afford to hold out. The only sure thing about Shale is that it is a sure thing. Terribly bad wells are netting folks just over $200 per acre per month on a 3/16 lease. There are folks getting upwards of $800 an acre per month on 25% leases, at the current low gas prices.

There is a forum on this subject.

I am waiting for gas lines to be run. Then I will be waiting for them to punch more wells.

I have some links for the RR Commission filings in Texas for anyone interested. PM me. You can find plats, W-1 and P-12 filings etc. for your wells through the RRC.

Up here in Arkansas the most Ive heard for a pad sight so far is $20K but were a whole lot newer than the Barnett play. They were first paying $6000 for a pad sight so everything is steadily going up.

J&T Farm":mre3rs0z said:
Up here in Arkansas the most Ive heard for a pad sight so far is $20K but were a whole lot newer than the Barnett play. They were first paying $6000 for a pad sight so everything is steadily going up.

After the awful '05 drought, and then the moderate one this year, it is good to see some of the old timers make a few nickels around here. Some of these folks have worked hard and struggled all their lives.

Kids who kept the family farm and tickled. Those who sold out are crying.

Glad I got that scanned and posted. I truly wasn't blowing smoke. It is reality.

Yeah the old farmers around here struggled all their lives and now some of them are getting checks for $10,000 and 15,000 a month. They dont know what to do with that kind of money.

Latest posts