Need help ID'ing this critter

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
I know it's mangy and scraggly, but a friend of mine killed it in his chicken house. Is it a fox or a coyote? I'm thinking fox because of the red, but the legs seem too long for a fox.

coyfox1.jpg

coyfox2.jpg

Coyote with the mange................or a young CHUPA CABRA............Take your pick :lol2:

3waycross":1nt1916n said:
Coyote with the mange................or a young CHUPA CABRA............Take your pick :lol2:
I like the second answer best.

3waycross":2p8c38z4 said:
Yeah I've killed a lot of chupa cabra. This is not one :lol: ...it's definitely a coyote....or a fox with a slick tail.

TexasBred":2vsvnna0 said:
3waycross":2vsvnna0 said:
Yeah I've killed a lot of chupa cabra. This is not one :lol: ...it's definitely a coyote....or a fox with a slick tail.
You gotta get rid of those goats so they don;t have so much to suck

Isomade, your coyote looks a lot healthier than the one I posted. Nice dentures too!

Coyotes - 3
Fox - 2

Hmmmm.....btw, this was not on my place, but the person who killed it in his chicken pen does have goats.
Thanks everybody!

Looks like a fox to me. The red colored coat, the ears, facial features, and with the degree of hair loss over the body, the tail is still much fuller than what I would expect for a coyote with mange. The tail also appears more consistent for a fox due to the length.

Watched a few gray foxes chasing bugs in the lights back in October. Their legs were fairly long.

It's a freakin dead coyote. Probably a young one and most likely has the mange. The legs are too long for a Fox amd the tail is WAY too short for a Fox.

I could certainly be wrong on what it is -- but whatever it WAS, it didn't look good. Can't tell by the pic how long/deep it was. And what gutted it? It looks like something did -- or did it just explode?

Kathie in Thorp":1m75065c said:
I could certainly be wrong on what it is -- but whatever it WAS, it didn't look good. Can't tell by the pic how long/deep it was. And what gutted it? It looks like something did -- or did it just explode?

Kathie, I think its body is on some dead leaves...I wondered about that too, but I believe it's just leaves. Poor thin mangy thing...hate to see any creature looking that bad.

foxredmange01.jpg

I't was only a guess and I was looking off a smart phone. Foxes can have mange also- like the one above and legs are pretty long. But looking on a bigger monitor, the critter looks a little too thick and coloring of the legs and tail aren't as consistent.

For what it's worth, I think it's a fox due to four things, the smooth slant from nose to forehead (not dished), the tufty ears, bushy whiskers, lower set wide based ears.

Although, chupacabra really was my first guess. :shock:

Latest posts