New arrivals

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Never expected that we'll try this road, but well, life is full of surprises. Have decided that won't cross angus anymore, as it's very hard to find a market for angus cross calves. Well, over a week ago received a call from one known farmer. She asked if we'd like to buy two PURE angus heifer calves. Those were born for first calvers and both from twins, so they've been separated from their moms and been put into the dairy herd where they could nurse as much as they want. It appeared that those little girls have a huge appetite and there was a significant decrease of milk from some cows, and some have already claimed heifers as their own calves. Owner decided to get rid of the heifers as one cow already was culled for the udder issues. Have thought for abit and decided why not. Heifers are 3months old, both 100% angus, pretty quiet, comes to lick hand. Payed $356 for each, but it's a very low price for a pure heifer here. It won't be a loss even if later will have to cull them, but for now the plan is to grow them into replacements or atleast one of them. Very interested to see what they'll grow into.
Will take some photos abit later today.

Hope the heifers work out for you. It sounds like yalls market is opposite of the one here. Angus or other black hided cattle typically top the market where I'm at. What are the reasons folks there don't like them and they are hard to market? Which kind sell best there? I didn't know if Limos and some of the other continental breeds did or something else.

Some photos taken today.
118248676-2542151476097578-9063932849848571356-n.jpg

117936424-358448965548820-5784695137783475157-n.jpg

118157195-308819483533745-7721062565939301011-n.jpg

A.J. said:
Hope the heifers work out for you. It sounds like yalls market is opposite of the one here. Angus or other black hided cattle typically top the market where I'm at. What are the reasons folks there don't like them and they are hard to market? Which kind sell best there? I didn't know if Limos and some of the other continental breeds did or something else.
The best selling calves are limousine, charolaise. Many buyers don't want angus cross calves as they lack muscles and high meat production is one of the main needs for buyers. Meat factories buy them with no worry, no discrimination there, but if you sell weaned calves there is a big problem with angus.

lithuanian farmer said:
A.J. said:
The best selling calves are limousine, charolaise. Many buyers don't want angus cross calves as they lack muscles and high meat production is one of the main needs for buyers. Meat factories buy them with no worry, no discrimination there, but if you sell weaned calves there is a big problem with angus.

That makes sense. Limos and Chars can pack the meat on.

Latest posts