New Mule

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Wife's been after me for years to get a JD Gator, but knowing my dislike for green paint, she said a Mule would suffice. Her birthday is coming up so I surprised her with a new "Mule" today:

Img_0987.jpg

85 F150 with 300 six, 4spd, and 4wd. 700 bucks. I even made signs for the doors: "Cow-A-Socky Mule". She wasn't impressed at first, but after taking it cruising to check cows this evening, I think it's growing on her. :lol:

cfpinz

How far did you have to travel to get this one? I'm assuming you had to travel since it's on a trailer. But then again, that may be how you have to run it.

dun

dun":1sp7zpk7 said:
How far did you have to travel to get this one? I'm assuming you had to travel since it's on a trailer. But then again, that may be how you have to run it.

dun

A whole 1/2 hour. We have to put insurance on Farm Use trucks now, didn't want to go thru the hassle. Actually runs good, wife got it stuck this evening. You're just mad because my Mule is bigger than yours. :lol: And you call yourself a tightwad!

cfpinz

hey now.. u got quite a deal on that "mule"....
Those 300 sixes will go forever....
Dun..... everyone outta have one of them cow-a-socky's.... :lol:

You are a smart man cfpinz. I just can't see putting that much money into a Mule or Gator or whatever when you can get something like your Mule everday for a small percent of the cost of one those toys.

For those that have them, don't get me wrong I would love to have one to play with but they are just too darn expensive for me.

flaboy?":irwmze87 said:
You are a smart man cfpinz. I just can't see putting that much money into a Mule or Gator or whatever when you can get something like your Mule everday for a small percent of the cost of one those toys.

For those that have them, don't get me wrong I would love to have one to play with but they are just too darn expensive for me.

I guess that's the difference. We don;t "play" with ours excewpt for the grankids when they're here. Buying a good used mule is about half the money of a new one and it can go places that a truck can;t. Except when the weather is crappy the mule is a whole lot handier then a truck. But in wet/snowy/cold weather, the heater in the truck is really welcome.

dun

I have a Gator HPX, but this applies to Mules as well.
Running electric fence, checking cows, anything off road. I'm old enough I appreciate the seat position of the gator v a pickup.
First year I had the gator, my fuel bills dropped even as the price of gas went up.
I don't have a lot of highway. If I did I might prefer a truck.
I paid $6000 with 135 hr on the machine. I'm satisfied.

Got an old Yamaha Kodiak with around 11,000 miles on it, needs some work but haven't been able to park it long enough to fix it, hoping the truck will buy me that time. 4 wheeler is nice for checking cows, fencing, and the like but it sucks when it's raining. Main reason I bought the truck was to drag fields and haul firewood. Was dragging some the other day with a relatively expensive tractor and got to thinking it wasn't very intelligent to be sitting out on an open tractor freezing my butt off and wearing out a nice tractor when a $500 truck would be more comfortable and disposable.

I think I'll spray paint King Ranch on the side of it so when I go to the Co-Op everyone will think I'm a real cowboy.

cfpinz

I saw a Mule with the "hard top" kit, low hrs, like new sell for 3900 about 2 weeks ago. I know nothing about utility vehicles was this a good price? Seems to be lots of total package (meaning everything from the feed pails to the tractors)auctions this year.

Depends on if it was 4x4 and the model. But even for the lower priced model that's not bad.

dun

cf- i have one of those sitting out in the yard. its white though. when my engine blew a while back (add this to list of crappy occurences) i started driving it . found out when i pulled up to the gate that the brakes didnt work. went plowing on thru gate (also add to list). so now it only has one headlight and part of a grill. oh yeah and the doors wont shut. sometimes they wont open either though. but its still a really good truck.

Latest posts