New to cattle ranching. So excited!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a total newbie, but ready to start a new chapter in my life with a small cattle farm. Buying up pasture acreage now on the Oregon Coast. Other folks are currently leasing it for their cattle but I plan to start my own cattle business along with a full scale reined cow horse training barn. I hope to learn a lot here. I am so excited for this next part of my life after working corporate and raising 4 kids. PS - I have owned horses my entire life, rodeo'd and shown. Also, I owned / operated a horse boarding facility in the past.

Last edited:
So this is the first piece of advice you will get here as a newbie. Pets and profit are diametrically opposed and there are two mindsets involved. If you want to profit you best understand that early.

And welcome!!!
Yes, of course, goes without saying. I don't need a profit to live. We have other businesses.

Welcome! Like you I started my new chapter not too long ago. Hang around here and you'll find answers to just about any questions you'll have-and if you're like me there will be a lot of them. I check the boards almost daily-there's a wealth of knowledge to be had.

Raising cattle is hard work-and doing this full time makes me appreciate my family members past who did this secondary to their "real" jobs.

If you're starting from scratch-it'll be a while before you make any money-but try not to get discouraged. Most things in life are difficult before they are easy.

Again, welcome!

Welcome! Like you I started my new chapter not too long ago. Hang around here and you'll find answers to just about any questions you'll have-and if you're like me there will be a lot of them. I check the boards almost daily-there's a wealth of knowledge to be had.

Raising cattle is hard work-and doing this full time makes me appreciate my family members past who did this secondary to their "real" jobs.

If you're starting from scratch-it'll be a while before you make any money-but try not to get discouraged. Most things in life are difficult before they are easy.

Again, welcome!
Thank you for reaching out! I have LOTS of people helping me that have been in this business. So, though I am a newbie to cattle raising...they are not. I'm lucky!

Hi everyone! I am a total newbie, but ready to start a new chapter in my life with a small cattle farm. Buying up pasture acreage now on the Oregon Coast. Other folks are currently leasing it for their cattle but I plan to start my own cattle business along with a full scale reined cow horse training barn. I hope to learn a lot here. I am so excited for this next part of my life after working corporate and raising 4 kids. PS - I have owned horses my entire life, rodeo'd and shown. Also, I owned / operated a horse boarding facility in the past.
Welcome! A wealth of information is shared here and you can learn a lot. Good luck.

Latest posts