odd calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jerry27150

Reaction score
had a full term calf born with just little short fuzzy hair, hardly no eye lashes. question do you think he will ever get hair & eye lashes . sun & flies drive him nuts & his eyes run. now what fuzz he has is starting to fall off. any ideas besides keeping him inside. he is gray & looks like a little elephant with his skin & tail

jerry27150":ntogberg said:
had a full term calf born with just little short fuzzy hair, hardly no eye lashes. question do you think he will ever get hair & eye lashes . sun & flies drive him nuts & his eyes run. now what fuzz he has is starting to fall off. any ideas besides keeping him inside. he is gray & looks like a little elephant with his skin & tail

Rattail? What breed bull and cow?

Any Angus in his back ground? That seems to be where I get most of my rat tails.

Suspect that's what you have.

Grow it and eat it if it fills out - otherwise take a bath at the sale barn.

Bez

yeah he is a rat tail alright, but is the worst one i have ever seen, not sure if he is going to have any hair left. he is out of a charolais cow bred to brangus bull.

Never saw one born that way. But the worst hair loss I ever saw in one was a charlois cross. Went bald as a baby rat, pink and slick as a button. But with in two weeks hair was coming back. He's fine now. Talked to a vet about it, he wasn't concerned at all. He said they will do that sometimes.

Visited a Char rancher in SD once, looking to buy a few cows. He said seriously, "I've got one in the barn you might like, being from the south."
In a stall there was a cow completely void of hair. Not even any fuzz. Course he laughed and told me the cow had had a reaction to an anti-biotic. Was really strange looking.

Years ago I bought a calf that was similar. I always thought she may have been a premie.. it seems to me a vet once told me an 8 month calf will be like that sometimes.

Anyway, she turned out fine. Grew hair in like normal after a month or so. Actually turned out to be a Murray Gray.

Latest posts