OH MY....so many to chose from.......

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Well folks, not long ago we started looking for another tractor to add to the farm, we were looking for something between 35 and 50 hp.......used of course......boy did we have two bargains, at least I hope they are bargains come our way...........

We first bought a Massey-ferguson 1040 4WD(35 hp)complete with loader, backhoe, extra fork lift attachment and a scraper blade for $7,500 bucks ( dealer say it's worth about 10,000 to 11,000 bucks, has only 432 hours on it, and looks almost like new, (been kept inside)

We just got offerd a Kubota 4800 (48hp?) 4wd, loader with a little over 300 hours on it, looks new! for $9,500 local dealer says it's worth about 14,000.... we can afford to keep just one,
we sure like a bota, but we also like the backhoe, and it is not a cheesy one like we often see that attaches to the rear swaybars, this attaches to the frame........
any suggestions to help us chose or final pick? :cboy:

Medic24,

Sounds like a great price on the Kubota. Like everything else, it all depends on your applications. I don't know the h.p. for the 4800. Have a 2550 (29.5 h.p.) K w/loader. Bought it 12 years ago. Only thing I've done to it is tires. Due to the size there's a lot of things it can be used for & a lot it can't do. Have a 5030 (49 h.p.) K w/loader (1850 hours). Bought it 10 years ago & have had to rebuild starter, no other problems. It does everything I need right now. I'm not familiar w/ the 1040 Massey but I know they make good tractors.

Be sure and hop on the Massey and drive it around a little bit before making decision. I was led to the MF because of the prices, but I am kind of a big guy, and it was a very uncomfortable and tight ride for me in the few Masseys I checked out. Ended up buying the Kubota 4 yrs ago, and never regretted one day.

eric is right. sitt in the tractor seat an run the controls. and move round easy in the seat.am that your not tight in it. b/c you will be spending alot behind the seat.im a big man as well. but i also have to p[roblem of not being able to move to good. so check out every angle. make sure you can get on an off the tractor with ease. scott