On my driveway

Help Support CattleToday:

I was told by a wild life researcher that domestic cats are the biggest threat to quail and are decimating populations across the country.

kenny thomas said:
1982vett said:
kenny thomas said:
The quail have disappeared it seems in most of the southeast. I'm pretty sure fescue is part of the reason.

Probably has more to do with fireants than fescue.
We don't have fire ants so I can't blame it on them here.

I have heard from the biologist about house cats as well. Woods are full of them with fire ants and no quail.

Caustic Burno said:
kenny thomas said:
1982vett said:
Probably has more to do with fireants than fescue.

I have heard from the biologist about house cats as well. Woods are full of them with fire ants and no quail.
I have a cat who is one hunting son of a gun. And he travels far and wide in search of mice. I have never seen him pay attention to the quail.

Dave said:
Caustic Burno said:
kenny thomas said:

I have a cat who is one hunting son of a gun. And he travels far and wide in search of mice. I have never seen him pay attention to the quail.

Maybe feathers tickle his nose. :lol: Could also be "easier prey" available. 🤷‍♂️

Its unreal in STX this year. There are all different size birds running around. They must have had 3 hatches. I was trying to chase a covey down a scendaro on the Mule to get a video and they must have ran in to another covey. When they all came up there were 30-40 birds in the air.

Quail need lots of area with the right amount of cover. Land getting split up and filled with animals like Noah's Ark does not fair well for them. Bermuda type grasses don't help either.

76 Bar said:
I was told by a wild life researcher that domestic cats are the biggest threat to quail and are decimating populations across the country.

Many of the wildlife experts down this way say land clearing and converting it to grasslands is one of the biggest problems. Nothing to hide in leaves them prey for everything on the ground and in the air.

A good stand of B-Dahl grass will do wonders for your wildlife and your cattle. If you have quail, they would love you to plant some along the fence lines.

I had to go back a couple years but here are some turkeys in the driveway. The old corral has been rebuilt and the new loading alley is now right behind where the turkeys were. And that shed in the back ground has been gone for 2 years.

There are deer in the driveway nearly everyday. I guess I don't take their picture because this was the only deer in the driveway picture I found.

These bighorn sheep aren't in the driveway but they are just across the road and they are trespassing on my property.

kenny thomas said:
Dave, trespassers should be shot on sight. Haven't you seen the signs. Lol

Those sheep are the pet project of the local game people. I guess I will let them off with a warning.

I got a picture of some of the quail. They didn't all fit into one frame but here are some of them. They are headed out between the barn and the shop.

Those are some good looking birds, always loved the large crest on the head of valley quail, defiantly more profound than bob's, or scales.

Added another species to the list of ones seen on the driveway. Yesterday afternoon there was a porcupine waddling out the driveway. The wife thought I should go shoot it. I said why? She said the dogs might tangle with it. I said it is headed the other direction at a high rate of speed. At least a high rate of speed for a porcupine.

Dave said:
Added another species to the list of ones seen on the driveway. Yesterday afternoon there was a porcupine waddling out the driveway. The wife thought I should go shoot it. I said why? She said the dogs might tangle with it. I said it is headed the other direction at a high rate of speed. At least a high rate of speed for a porcupine.
Well you got me there. Never seen a porcupine. Hope I never do.

When I was in coastal northern Calif decades ago porcupines were plentiful. Haven't seen one since the late 80's in Cali and likewise none since relocating to Oregon in 2016. Lots of memories of the very tedious chore of plucking hundreds of quills out of cattle faces. Once & done with dogs.

Latest posts