One positive from way too much rain

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I doubt if I've seen a half dozen grasshoppers. The grasslands specilist at NRCS had noticed the same thing. I guess they all drowned since they're in the ground and most all ground was under water for a week or so.

I had noticed the lack of grasshoppers. I hadn't associated it with the rain. Seems to have made some of turkeys go else where.

Boy are y'all lucky. We have had 35" in the last 90 days and have grasshoppers everywhere. With it raining everyday its not worth trying to spray them.

We still got the grasshoppers around here. Plus, I was outside the other evening, and right about our place was probably 100's of those double winged dragonflys. Just flying around buzzin by.. then after about 10 minutes.. they all left. gone. I figure they must have hatched out recently.

My poor weinie dog is starving, she lives on those things during the summer to the point that she gains a lot of weight and won;t eat her regular dog food.

Gee, you can have some of ours! We have millions!!! They jump on you as you walk, ride, whatever! I have found it fun to take the handle of our Hotwire gate and touch any grasshoppers on the pole. They snap once or twice, then fall apart and hot the ground.... And the funny thing is they do not move after that!?!!? Go figure.... Hehehehehe...

Fire Sweep Ranch":ew433f0o said:
Gee, you can have some of ours! We have millions!!! They jump on you as you walk, ride, whatever! I have found it fun to take the handle of our Hotwire gate and touch any grasshoppers on the pole. They snap once or twice, then fall apart and hot the ground.... And the funny thing is they do not move after that!?!!? Go figure.... Hehehehehe...
No thanks, the weanie dog could stand to lose a few pounds.

skyhightree1":124pajtg said:
I think its crazy how yall have so many grasshoppers.
We were like that last year during the drought. They even ate holes in our window screens.

skyhightree1":y51b096x said:
dun":y51b096x said:
skyhightree1":y51b096x said:
I think its crazy how yall have so many grasshoppers.
We were like that last year during the drought. They even ate holes in our window screens.

Wow... Do you get alot of cold weather and snow ?
We haven't for years, but this winter may be different

TennesseeTuxedo":1y3u5o9w said:
Our Barn Swallows left in August this year dun. I take that as a sign of some kind. Harsh winter ahead perhaps?
Not here Tux, I was rotary mowing yesterday and they stayed with me swirling around as I flushed insects for them. Hundreds of them. Inside my barn, I am knee deep in their poop. I am thinking about starting a business selling it for fertilizer. :lol:

Wow... Do you get alot of cold weather and snow ?[/quote]
We haven't for years, but this winter may be different[/quote]

I wonder since we have harder winters here that could be the reason that the grasshopper population isn't bad here.

I still have thousands of grasshoppers and not an egret to be found. Rain a few weeks ago thinned them some but they just bounced right back.

dun my doxy doesn't eat them much but she loves to catch and kill'em.

skyhightree1":2ktwe7hn said:
I wonder if 24d or forefront r&p would help kill grasshoppers.
Only if they are a "broadleaf grasshopper" I think permithrin would work better.

danl":14o7unxv said:
skyhightree1":14o7unxv said:
Only if they are a "broadleaf grasshopper" I think permithrin would work better.

Didn't know if that stuff was poison to them for eating the grass :shock:

skyhightree1":lpbzhgw6 said:
danl":lpbzhgw6 said:
skyhightree1":lpbzhgw6 said:

Didn't know if that stuff was poison to them for eating the grass :shock:
I pretty much doubt it since it doesn;t hurt anything else that eats the grass.

Latest posts